Amanda Knox's Mom Defends Her at Trial

Edda Mella, mother of Amanda Knox, scheduled to testify during her daughters trial.

Amanda Knox's mother today faced a situation most mothers can't imagine: She literally was fighting for her daughter's freedom.

Edda Mellas took the stand in a medieval Italian courtroom 6,000 miles away from her Seattle home, a witness in her 21-year-old daughter's murder trial.

Her daughter, Amanda Knox has been on trial in Perugia, Italy, for the past five months, accused, along with her former boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito, 25, of brutally murdering her British roommate, Meredith Kercher.


A third person, Rudy Guede, was convicted and sentenced to 30 years in prison last October for his role in the crime.

When Mellas came to the stand she was calm and very precise in her description of the events that took place the morning Kercher's body was found. She described her daughter as very upset and confused when she first called saying that she had found a "strange situation" at the house.

Knox then called her mother two more times finally telling her they had found Kercher's body and that she had to talk to the police.

Knox sat watching her mother testify, smiling shyly at her when she came into the court. While her mother was questioned by her lawyer Knox sat, head bowed, and doodled on her pad.

Mellas was also asked what Amanda had said in prison to her mother about involving Patrick Lumumba, the owner of a local bar who Knox initially told police may have been involved in the murder. "She said that she said something under extreme pressure and felt bad she did not have the courage to stand up to them and say, no it is not true," Mellas testified.

She also said there were no problems between her daughter and Kercher.

"They got along great," Mellas told the eight-member jury. "She told me about the fun things she and Meredith did," she said, without elaborating.

Amanda Knox's Mother Takes the Stand

In a 2008 inteview with ABC News' Elizabeth Vargas, Mellas said, "I know she's innocent. I know how shocked and upset she was when she found out, you know, Meredith was dead.... We wanted her to come home right away and she said, no, you know, I want to stay."

Mellas said in that earlier interview that her daughter first called her when she returned to the apartment, took a shower and realized "something's not right." When Knox found Kercher's door locked, she called her mother.

"She said, 'I 've come home now and I think somebody's been in my house.' And she told me, 'We can't find Meredith. We can't get a hold of Meredith. And her room is locked.' And I said, hang up and call the police," Mellas said.

In a subsequent call home, Knox's mother said, "She said there's a body. There is somebody there. I guess I could just hear it in her voice. You know she was I think almost in shock and I said, 'You know what, I'm going to come out'" to Italy, Mellas said.

During a layover in Switzerland, Mellas' phone rang. She vividly remembered the phone call that changed her life -- and her daughter's, too.

"My husband called me and said, 'There are reporters all over the house. They say they've arrested Amanda'," Mellas told Vargas.

Before Mellas took the stand Sollecito's father, Francesco Sollecito, testified in defence of his son saying, "My son would not hurt a fly, never showed signs of aggressiveness," adding that he went willingly to the police.

He said that his son spoke about Amanda every day and told him that he looked after like she ws a little girl.

  • 1
  • |
  • 2
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
You Might Also Like...