Tunisia Museum Attack: At Least 20 Dead in Shooting

PHOTO: Tunisian security forces secure the area after gunmen attacked Tunis famed Bardo Museum, March 18, 2015. PlayFethi Belaid/AFP/Getty Images
WATCH More Than 20 Killed in Tunisia Museum Attack

At least 20 people have been killed in a shooting attack at the Bardo Museum in Tunisia, including 17 foreign nationals, Tunisian officials said today.

In addition, two attackers have also been killed, Prime Minister Habib Essid said, calling it a "cowardly terrorist operation" that targeted tourists.

The tourists were attacked while they were getting off a bus to enter the museum, Essid said, noting this is the first attack there targeting tourists.

The attackers were wearing military fatigues, and when the tourists ran toward the museum to avoid the shooting, the attackers pursued them, Essid said.

Among the 17 tourists killed, the nationalities included Polish, German, Italian and Spanish, Essid said.

An additional 22 tourists and two Tunisians were injured, he said.

Radek Sikorski, speaker of Polish Parliament, said seven Polish tourists were dead and three were in in critical condition. And the Italian Foreign Ministry told ABC News that three Italians were dead and six were wounded.

PHOTO: A map showing the location of the city of Tunis in Tunisia.Google Earth/Digital Globe
A map showing the location of the city of Tunis in Tunisia.

PHOTO: A map showing the location of The National Bardo Museum and Tunisian Parliment in Tunis, Tunisia.Google Earth/Digital Globe
A map showing the location of The National Bardo Museum and Tunisian Parliment in Tunis, Tunisia.

The country's Interior Ministry initially said earlier today that eight people had been killed but also noted that a number of hostages were also being held captive in the museum and that security forces were deployed inside it.

Carina D. Klein, a spokesperson for the U.S. Embassy in Tunis, told ABC News they cannot confirm nor deny whether Americans are among the those dead in the attack.

PHOTO: Tunisian security forces secure the area after gunmen attacked Tunis famed Bardo Museum, March 18, 2015. Fethi Belaid/AFP/Getty Images
Tunisian security forces secure the area after gunmen attacked Tunis' famed Bardo Museum, March 18, 2015.

Get real-time updates as this story unfolds. To start, just "star" this story in ABC News' phone app. Download ABC News for iPhone here or ABC News for Android here.