A man snorkeling on his honeymoon in the Seychelle Islands was mauled by a shark as his bride sunning on the beach heard his screams.
Ian Redmond, 30, died of his injures Tuesday.
Redmond had been swimming in tranquil waters of Anse Lazio beach on the island of Praslin Tuesday when the shark attacked. His wife of two weeks, Gemma Houghton, had been sun tanning on the shore during the attack.
The couple, who had wed on Aug. 6, are one of thousands of couples who flock to the Indian Ocean islands from Europe yearly. Newlyweds Prince William and Duchess Kate visited North Island in Seychelles for their honeymoon earlier this year.
Sunbathers and fellow tourists were alerted to the deadly incident when they heard Redmond's cries for help.
- Honeymooner Ian Redmon was attacked by a killer shark while new wife sunbathed.
Briton Ian Redmon Died in Freak Shark Attack on Seychelles Beach
One American tourist who witnessed the attack told The Telegraph, "I saw a swimmer who was missing a huge chunk of flesh from his left leg - so much so that I could see the bone of his thigh. He was sickeningly pale, but still had his flippers on both feet. "
Redmond's widow told the Press Association of Reporters that the couple were "having so much fun" on their honeymoon before the disaster.
She paid tribute to her husband, saying ""Myself, our families and our friends are devastated and shocked by what has happened. He was always calm and collected, strong and brave, witty and intelligent, handsome and caring, a remarkable individual who will be deeply and sorely missed. We are privileged and proud to have shared our lives with him."
Redmond was pulled to shore by witnesses in a boat and died shortly afterwards of blood loss in a hospital.
This is the latest in a recent outbreak of shark attacks on the beach of Anse Lazio in the Seychelles. A French tourist was killed two weeks ago by a shark under similar circumstances while snorkeling in the waters during late afternoon.
Seychelles ambassador to the U.S., Ronald Jumeau, told ABC News that reports circulating about the killer shark's size of 6 feet were false.
Fishing Boats Hunt Shark That Killed Honeymooner
"We haven't had a reliable sighting. We don't know where that number came from. People have been guessing. We have no idea whatsoever about what type of variety of shark it would be," Jumeau said.
Jumeau told ABC News that a special committee had been assembled last night, composed of standing authorities from the National Parks, the Seychelles Fishing Authority, area police, the Coast Guard, marine biologists, hotel security and residents of the area to coordinate their actions in guarding the area and preventing a third attack.
"A domestic advisory has been announced to make sure people don't go too far out. They are monitoring the waters to insure that they can get the shark. There's probably just one shark, but we are certainly taking precautions. There is no panic on the island, no wild shark hunt, although some of the popular beaches around that area have been closed and are being patrolled," said Jumeau.
Current precautions include using fishing nets to cordon off areas of the bay. Fishing boats are also circulating in the area with bait in hopes of luring the shark.
Seychelles officials tried to downplay the dangers of sharks in the area.
"In Seychelles, we don't even think about sharks, it's that rare, Seychelles is not known for that . . . That beach is one of my favorite beaches, and until now I would have gone into the water without hesitation ," said Jumeau.
Selby Pillay, Seychelles Minister of Counselor to the U.N., told ABCNews.com that most of its tourists come from Europe. "We've had approximately 100,000 tourists since January," he said.