George Huguely's Mother Speaks Out on Yeardley Love's Death

The mother of University of Virginia lacrosse player George Huguely, accused of killing his ex-girlfriend, broke her silence today to say she is "devastated and confused" by the death of Yeardley Love and the murder charges brought against her son.

"As a mother, I never expected to be in a situation like this," Marta Murphy said in a statement. "Though my pain is great, it will never come close to the anguish felt by the Love family...The pain [her mother Sharon] and her family are suffering is something that no family should ever have to endure."

Murphy put out her statement because of numerous media requests.

"It has been difficult to remain silent during this dark, tumultuous time," she said, but asked that her family be left alone.

A Mothers Pain
A Mother's Pain

"Along with my family, I am devastated and confused. We are all trying to understand and cope as best we can," she said.

Murphy said she knew Love because of her son's long relationship with her.

"Yeardley was part of our lives... She was a sweet wonderful young woman with a limitless future. We also know her mother, Sharon," she said.

While Murphy said she is grieving and praying for Love's family, she also said she will stand by her 22-year-old son, who was accused in her killing.

"I hope that people can understand that both George's father and I love our son. We will support George in whatever way we can -- just as any mother or father would do for their child," she said.

VIDEO: The UVA lacrosse coaches talk about Yeardley Love and the NCAA tournament.
UVA Coaches Speak: Playing Through Grief

"As a person of faith, I continue to pray for the Love family, for Yeardley's friends and, for my son George," Murphy said.

Watch more on "Nightline" tonight at 11:35 p.m. ET

Love, 22, who played on the university's nationally ranked lacrosse team, was laid to rest near her family's home in Baltimore last weekend. Family, friends, former classmates and teammates filled Cathedral of Mary Our Queen, in honor of the Love.

For Love's family, her mother Sharon and older sister Lexie, the last week has likely been nothing short of a nightmare, beginning with the gruesome discovery of Love's body by her roommate, face-down and bloodied in her bed on May 3.

Police were called to Love's off-campus apartment at 2:15 a.m. by her roommate, who suspected that she may have just had too much to drink. But when authorities were unsuccessful in reviving Love, evidence of trauma became clear and they arrested Huguely at his own apartment just a few blocks away.

Waiving his Miranda rights, Huguely told Charlottesville police that he had kicked through the door to Love's bedroom. Police documents said Huguely told investigators that he shook Love and her head banged into the wall several times.

He also told police he and Love had broken up and that he had communicated with her through e-mails. Before leaving her room, according to the documents, he took her computer and "disposed of it." The police document says Huguely told investigators where to find Love's computer.

Police later reportedly seized a red-stained lacrosse T-shirt from Huguely's apartment, along with a shower curtain and a letter addressed to Love.

Huguely was charged with first-degree murder and held without bond. His lawyer said during a bond hearing that Love's death was an "accident."

Scheduled to graduate on May 23 with the rest of her class, Love now will receive her degree posthumously.

  • 1
  • |
  • 2
  • |
  • 3
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
You Might Also Like...