Dinner Crashers 'Respectfully Decline' Congress Invite

The emails support what White House officials said today, when they reiterated to ABC News that the Salahis were not invited, and back up Jones, special assistant to the Secretary of Defense, who flatly denied the Salahis' claim.

"I did not state at any time, or imply that I had tickets for ANY portion of the evening's events," Jones said earlier in a statement. "I specifically stated that they did not have tickets and in fact that I did not have the authority to authorize attendance, admittance or access to any part of the evening's activities. Even though I informed them of this, they still decided to come."

Before ABC News obtained the emails, sources familiar with them emphasized that there is no record that anyone at the White House authorized the Salahis to come.

VIDEO: Socialite Reality-TV Wannabes Who Crashed White House Met President Obama
null

"What concerns me the most is that someone was able to walk in off the street to a White House event, without the proper credentials, without the proper vetting, and get next to the president," said Bennie Thompson, chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee.

Thompson said he's hoping to clear up the story in a hearing he's called for Thursday. The head of the secret service and the Salahis have been called to testify.

The Salahis said their lives have been "devastated" by news headlines characterizing them as disingenuous.

"Our lives have been destroyed," said Michaele Salahi. "We were invited -- not crashers -- there isn't anyone that would have the audacity or the poor behavior to do that. The White House is THE house and no one would do that, and certainly not us."

VIDEO: Socialite Reality-TV Wannabes Who Crashed White House Met President Obama
null

The couple said they were not paid by NBC for the interview.

The Salahis' first television interview since the incident came as new details emerged about the couple's past and their interaction with administration officials in the days leading up to the state dinner.

Salahis Deny Record of 'Party Crashing'

ABC News has learned that the couple also apparently crashed a Sept. 26 dinner for the Congressional Black Caucus and were asked to leave.

Pictures from the dinner show Tareq and Michaele Salahi socializing with prominent figures, including Rep. Charlie Rangel, D-N.Y., and television personality Starr Jones.

VIDEO: Who Are the White House Gate Crashers?
null

CBC Foundation spokeswoman Muriel Cooper told ABC News the Salahis were caught sitting out of place during the dinner.

"The Salahis were sitting in our gold section without a ticket to that specific table. We had security escort them out," Cooper said. "We are currently checking to see if they actually had a ticket. Many times businesses and corporations buy tables and distribute the tickets to their guests, but we are unsure if that was the case in this situation."

During their television interview Tuesday, Tareq Salahi denied that he and his wife crashed the CBC dinner, saying they were invited guests of the Gardner Law Group.

"Were we escorted out? Of course not," he said. "That's another gossip rumor, just, unfortunately, how this story got started, through a gossip column."

But Cooper told ABC News that the CBC Foundation does not have the Gardner Law Group, mentioned by the Salahis, listed as buying tickets to the Sept. 26 gala.

Tareq Salahi's brother, Dr. Ismail Salahi, said he isn't surprised by the allegations and that the couple has a history of bold behavior to attract attention.

Page
  • 1
  • |
  • 2
  • |
  • 3
Join the Discussion
You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...