Olbermann to Be Back on the Air Tuesday

Video: Keith Olbermann returns to the airwaves.
Share
Copy

Keith Olbermann can go back on the air Tuesday, after what his MSNBC boss decided was an "appropriate punishment" for making contributions to a trio of Democrats.

MSNBC President Phil Griffin made the announcement late today that Olbermann would be allowed to return to "Countdown," the cable channel's most popular program.

"After several days of deliberation and discussion, I have determined that suspending Keith through and including Monday night's program is an appropriate punishment for his violation of our policy," Griffin said in a brief statement. "We look forward to having him back on the air Tuesday night."

Olbermann, who was suspended Friday after it was revealed that he contributed to the campaigns of three Democratic candidates, took to the web earlier today to update and thank supporters.

VIDEO: The MSNBC anchor is in trouble after donating to Democratic candidates.
Olbermann Suspended for Campaign Contributions

Olbermann posted the following message this afternoon:

"Greetings From Exile! A quick, overwhelmed, stunned THANK YOU for support that feels like a global hug & obviously left me tweetless XO."

Politico reported Friday that Olbermann contributed to the candidates in the run-up to Tuesday's midterm elections, making a donation to Arizona Rep. Raul Grijalva on the same day he appeared on the cable news show.

In a statement announcing the suspension, MSNBC said its ethics policy bans journalists from making political contributions.

Video: MSNBC suspended host Keith Olbermann.
MSNBC Countdown host, Keith Olbermann suspended

Olbermann, perhaps the cable network's most famous face, is known as an outspoken liberal commenter. As one of the network's highest-paid personalities, he is central to the network's "Lean Forward" campaign, a rebranding effort promoting progressive points of view. Thomas Roberts anchored "Countdown" on Friday night.

"I became aware of Keith's political contributions late last night," Griffin said in a statement released Friday. "Mindful of NBC News policy and standards, I have suspended him indefinitely without pay."

Olbermann admitted to making contributions to Grijalva, as well as Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D- Ariz., and Jack Conway, the Democratic candidate who lost to Tea Party favorite Rand Paul in the Kentucky Senate race.

Olbermann told Politico he made the maximum contribution of $2,400 to each candidate.

"One week ago, on the night of Thursday, October 28 2010, after a discussion with a friend about the state of politics in Arizona, I donated $2,400 each to the reelection campaigns of Democratic Representatives Raul Grijalva and Gabrielle Giffords," Olbermann told Politico. "I also donated the same amount to the campaign of Democratic Senatorial candidate Jack Conway in Kentucky."

"I did not privately or publicly encourage anyone else to donate to these campaigns, nor to any others in this election or any previous ones, nor have I previously donated to any political campaign at any level," Olbermann said.

Defenders, Critics Chose Sides Over Olbermann

Olbermann's colleague, Rachel Maddow, came to his defense. She acknowledged that Olbermann had violated NBC's policy prohibiting donations to political candidates unless a waiver is granted ahead of time by NBC management.

Maddow said she understands the rule. "I understand what it means to break this rule," she continued. "I believe that everyone should face the same treatment under this rule. I also personally believe that the point has been made and we should have Keith back hosting Countdown."

Page
  • 1
  • |
  • 2
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...