Obama Calls Boehner Lawsuit Threat a 'Stunt'

PHOTO: President Barack Obama speaks at the White House, June 25, 2014, in Washington. RIght, Speaker of the House Rep. John Boehner holds a news conference at the Capitol September 23, 2011, in Washington.
Share
Copy

Despite Republican House Speaker John Boehner’s threat this week to sue President Obama over his use of executive orders, the president refused to apologize for his actions during an exclusive interview with ABC News and took the Republican Party to task for what he described as its attempt to interfere with the basic functions of government.

“You notice that he didn't specifically say what exactly he was objecting to,” the president said when asked about the suit by ABC News Chief Anchor George Stephanopoulos during an interview Thursday in Minnesota.

“I'm not going to apologize for trying to do something while they're doing nothing,” the president added later.

Boehner said Wednesday during the announcement of the lawsuit that the president had “not faithfully executed the laws,” but Obama sharply disagreed during his interview with ABC News.

“The suit is a stunt,” he said.

READ: Obama Says World Cup Affecting Some Foreign Policy Moves

READ: Obama Warns Central Americans: ‘Do Not Send Your Children to The Borders’

As for immigration overhaul, the president cited public support for it, insisting he was open to compromise with the Ohio Republican during his interview with Stephanopoulos.

“What I've told Speaker Boehner directly is, ‘If you're really concerned about me taking too many executive actions, why don't you try getting something done through Congress?’” the president said.

"You're going to squawk if I try to fix some parts of it administratively that are within my authority while you're not doing anything?" Obama said, directing his comments toward Republicans.

Obama Says Country Under Threat His Entire Presidency

During the wide-ranging interview, Stephanopoulos asked the president about how serious of a threat ISIS -- the radical Sunni Islamic group fighting to take control of Iraq -- posed to the United States, citing a recent op-ed by former U.S. Ambassador to Iraq Ryan Crocker, who served under both Obama and Republican President George W. Bush.

In the Washington Post, Crocker warned the U.S. “would be foolish to think that ISIS will not plan attacks against the West now that it has the space and security to do so.”

Said Obama: “I think we have been under serious threat my entire presidency. And we have been under serious threat predating 9/11 from those who embrace this ideology.” The president did concede that the group has grown more powerful in “some places” when asked about the issue by Stephanopoulos.

“Well, they're gaining strength in some places. But we've also got a lot better at protecting ourselves,” the president added.

The president announced earlier this month that he would send up to 300 military advisers to Iraq to assist the country’s government-backed forces as they continue to clash with ISIS, which has already taken control of several cities and towns within the country currently headed by Shiite Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki.

Obama: Public Doesn’t Have to Support Foreign Policy ‘Every Minute’

Page
  • 1
  • |
  • 2
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...