Wesley Clark on the Campaign Trail

Clark was not reachable for comment (and most likely would stick to his "I won't attack fellow Democratic nominees" stance), but his communications strategist, Chris Lehane, did not hold back, telling ABC News: "If Joe Lieberman had attacked George W. Bush and Dick Cheney in the 2000 campaign the way he attacks fellow Democrats in 2003, George W. Bush would not be president today and the world would be a better place. Joe Lieberman was buddy-buddy with Bush and Cheney in 2000, supports the Bush war in Iraq and votes more often with Bush than the Democrats -- maybe he is running in the wrong primary."

Late yesterday, Clark appeared on CNN where Paula Zahn asked Clark directly: "If you had been President during this time, where would Saddam Hussein be-in power or in prison?" Clark responded that Hussein would "have probably been brought out of power, in most likely a different process."

General Clark travels to the Hague

NEW YORK CITY, Dec. 14 — It was 22-year-old communications aide Basel Hamdan who broke the news of Saddam Hussein's capture to the rest of the Clark campaign in Little Rock, Ark. As part of the rotating staff of three assigned to "clips," Hamden came into the office at 5:30 am local time (about four hours later than normal since Clark was in The Hague) and turned on the TV. "I saw Dan Rather on at 6:00 a.m.," he said, but with the closed captioning on the bottom of the screen he wasn't able to read the "Saddam Captured" part of the news. Then he changed stations and recalled, "I realized Saddam Hussein was captured and I couldn't believe it."

After e-mailing out the news to the communications department, Hamdan rummaged through desks in the office scrambling, looking for numbers for people that would be traveling with Clark. Seeing as it's an apolitical trip, the numbers were not easily accessible. Once found, the difficulty became dialing the international numbers -- "I dialed 9-1 and the number, then 00 and the number, that didn't work." When Hamden got through to somebody he was told: "They were at customs and they just found out what happened."

The General's life premieres

NEW YORK CITY, Dec. 10 — It was touted as the million-dollar fundraiser that almost caused Gen. Clark's absence from Tuesday's debate -- New York money, glitz, and glamour at the Hyatt Grand Central's ballroom to honor the "American Son." No, not Uncle Sam. "American Son" is named for General Clark and is also the title of the new film by Linda Bloodworth, creator of Clinton's biopic, "The Man from Hope."

The 17-minute film was shown in full at the fundraiser last night and, for the first time, Gen. and Mrs. Clark sat and watched the story of The General's life from beginning to end. Just as the film ended, the lights came up and Clark was seen red-faced and crying. He wiped his face with a napkin as he took the stage for his speech, making sure to smile through the tears.

"American Son" features interviews with Clark's son, Wes Jr., his wife, Gert, his cousin, friends, military comrades, his West Point roommate, and even his high school guidance counselor. Photos and home video of Clark as a child, a young soldier, husband, and father, are all weaved into the film.

Page
Join the Discussion
You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...