Each Wednesday, ESPN RecruitingNation updates its national class rankings and its conference class rankings.
The American is now led by South Florida who has edged its way into the top spot. The Bulls have a class that features a pair of ESPN 300 prospects and recently added three-star WR Tyre McCants. After the departure of head coach Charlie Strong, Louisville, which will be leaving for the ACC, saw its class fall out of the national rankings and drop to No. 2 in the conference. Rutgers, which will move to the Big Ten, fell to the No. 3 spot, but remains close behind the top two teams.
1. South Florida Bulls: The Bulls' class includes ESPN 300 wide receiver Ryeshene Bronson (Fort Myers, Fla./Dunbar), four-star athlete Jimmy Bayes (Immokalee, Fla./Immokalee) and four-star postgrad defensive end Eric Mayes (Sarasota, Fla./Milford Academy). Another four-star prospect, offensive tackle Benjamin Knox (DeLand, Fla./DeLand High) has jumped on board as well.
2. Louisville Cardinals: The Cardinals' class has taken a hit with the departure of Charlie Strong. Louisville has found continued success in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina with seven combined commitments, but keeping the class together is the task at hand for Bobby Petrino. Four-star defensive tackle Daniel Cage (Cincinnati/Winton Woods) remains high on Louisville's wish list.
3. Rutgers Knights: Rutgers is loading up at the skill positions with wide receiver and No. 118 overall Saeed Blacknall (Manalapan, N.J./Manalapan), along with running backs Joshua Hicks (Palmetto, Fla./Palmetto High) and Robert Martin (Harrisburg, Pa./Harrisburg High). Justin Nelson (Wayne, N.J./DePaul Catholic High) bring defensive versatility.
4. Cincinnati Bearcats: The Bearcats' class features nearly two dozen three-star prospects, including seven prospects from Florida, with one of the headliners being defensive end Spencer Williams (Jacksonville, Fla./First Coast). Cincinnati has five junior college prospects in the class.
5. UCF Knights: The Knights' class includes one ESPN 300 member, quarterback Tyler Harris (Blackshear, Ga./Pierce County High), who flipped from SMU. While there are a number of key targets remaining on the board, keeping fast-rising safety Mike Rogers (Smyrna, Ga./Campbell) in the fold is a top priority for the UCF staff. Flipping defensive tackle Jamiyus Pittman (Moultrie, Ga./Colquitt County High) fills a key need.
6. Houston Cougars: The Cougars' class features some prospects with potential, including DE Mason Denley (Columbus, Texas/Columbus). While quarterback Bear Fenimore (Austin, Texas/Westwood) is already on board at a need position, it's the five offensive line commits who fill the immediate needs for Houston.