Kelly said he has not talked to the four players being investigated, clarifying that they cannot practice or play with the team but are welcome in the football building for meals and other activities. He said he will withhold them from team and position meetings for now, and he said that he has not been told of any other players on his current team who are being investigated.
Kelly said that he has not been interviewed or investigated himself.
Daniels, Russell, Williams and Moore were a part of Notre Dame's 2012 team that went 12-1 and lost in the BCS national championship game to Alabama. The Rev. John Jenkins, the school's president, said Friday that the school would vacate victories if it determines players have been ineligible during past competition.
Kelly said a potential vacating of the Irish's 2012 wins would not alter his view of that season's accomplishments.
"It wouldn't change in my eyes," the fifth-year Notre Dame coach said. "I've never really counted my victories, it's not something that I've really spent much time thinking about. The satisfaction that I get is in the preparation and the relationships that I have with the players and the accomplishments that you have from year to year with your team and how you play the game. So I never really put much stock in that."
Kelly was also asked if he felt the perception of him has taken a hit, this after his first year at Notre Dame was headlined by off-the-field tragedies that included a student videographer dying at practice and a student at nearby Saint Mary's College committing suicide two weeks after she reported she had been sexually assaulted by a Notre Dame football player.
"This isn't the time to have a debate on what my leadership or lack thereof is," Kelly said. "My focus is on my football team and getting this team ready. There's a time and place for that. People have their opinions, and certainly they're entitled to them. I'm going to focus on this football team."