Pacquiao-Bradley II set for April

ESPNAPI_IMG_NO_ALTEXT_Value

Filipino icon Manny Pacquiao and welterweight titlist Timothy Bradley Jr., whose June 2012 fight will go down as one of the most controversial decisions in boxing history, will meet again.

Bradley agreed to terms on Saturday, a week after Pacquiao did the same, to set up their sequel, which will take place on April 12 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told ESPN.com.

"I finished the deal with Pacquiao last week and [Top Rank president] Todd [duBoef] finished with Bradley [Saturday]," Arum said.

As part of the deal, Bradley, due to become a promotional free agent at the end of the year, extended his contract with Top Rank, duBoef told ESPN.com. Arum said that the formal news conference to announce the fight is scheduled for Feb. 4 in New York with a second news conference to be held in Los Angeles either the next day or two days later.

Arum said Pacquiao will be guaranteed $20 million -- a $6 million cut from the first fight -- and that Bradley would receive $6 million, a $1 million raise from the first fight. Both fighters will also be cut in for an upside of the pay-per-view profits, Arum said. The first bout generated approximately 890,000 pay-per-view buys, according to Mark Taffet of HBO PPV.

When Pacquiao and Bradley met the first time, also at the MGM Grand, Bradley was awarded a split-decision victory that gave him a 147-pound world title and left the world in stunned disbelief over the 115-113 scorecards he received from judges Duane Ford and C.J. Ross. Jerry Roth had it 115-113 for Pacquiao and even that was too close for many.

The result caused such an outrage that the WBO, which sanctioned the title fight, held an independent review of the video and all judges scored it for Pacquiao. Arum, who strongly believed Pacquiao had won, asked for the Nevada attorney general to investigate the judges, which turned up nothing out of the ordinary. Ford and Ross were criticized around the world and Bradley, even though he had nothing to do with the scoring, received death threats from angry Pacquiao fans.

While the result of the first bout is bound to be heavily rehashed in the buildup to the rematch, Arum said he didn't think it would have much to do with the fight.

"My feeling is that if this were the next fight after their first fight then maybe the result would be really relevant," Arum said. "But it's a different Bradley now, having had that great fight with [Ruslan] Provodnikov and beating [Juan Manuel] Marquez. I sort of think what happened in the first fight, whether you think the result was just or unjust, is yesterday's news.

"If people want to bring up the first fight, let them bring it up. As far as I'm concerned it's irrelevant. I thought like everybody else that Pacquiao won the fight and I was shocked when I heard the result, but to me it's not relevant."

Bradley has fought twice since, outpointing Provodnikov in an epic slugfest in March that was the 2013 ESPN.com fight of the year and then outpointing Marquez in October.

Page
  • 1
  • |
  • 2
Join the Discussion
You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...