Ray Rice Apologizes Again, Says 'Wife Can Do No Wrong'

PHOTO: Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice answers question during a news conference after NFL football training camp practice, July 31, 2014, in Owings Mills, Md.
Share
Copy

Baltimore Ravens player Ray Rice publicly apologized to his wife today and said she can "do no wrong," just months after he allegedly struck his then-fiancee and was caught on video dragging her from an Atlantic City elevator.

It was the first time the running back answered questions about the Feb. 15 incident, which earned him a two-game suspension from the NFL.

"What happened that night is something that never should have happened," Rice, 27, said.

The NFL's Domestic Violence Problem

Ravens Coach Supports Ray Rice

Ray Rice's Domestic Violence Suspension Criticized

He called the violent incident his "lowest low" and expressed concern his 2-year-old daughter with wife Janay Palmer would one day learn about her dad's mistake on Google.

"It hurts because I can't go out there and play football, but it hurts more because I have to be a father and explain what happened to my daughter," he said.

Rice declined to say what triggered the incident, saying he just wants to move forward with his family.

"My actions that night were totally inexcusable," he said.

Rice called his wife an "angel" and said he let her, her parents, his teammates and the entire Baltimore community down.

He also brought up his mother.

"I know that's not who I am as a man," Rice said. "That's not who my mom raised me to be. If anyone knows me they know I was raised by a single parent and that was my mother."

He also said that "when the time is right," he and Palmer want to help other couples affected by domestic abuse. Rice called the violent fight a "one-time incident."

As a result, Rice will miss the season opener against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sept. 7 and the Sept. 11 game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Rice was arrested following the altercation, in which he allegedly struck Palmer. Rice has been accepted into a diversion program, which upon completion could lead to the charges being expunged.

Last month, Rice met with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell after joining the diversion program. Goodell ultimately decided to suspend the running back for two games without pay and fine him an additional game check "for conduct detrimental to the NFL in violation of the league's Personal Conduct Policy."

The Associated Press contributed to this report

Join the Discussion
You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...