Wiz guards left off World Cup roster

ESPNAPI_IMG_NO_ALTEXT_Value

Team USA formally announced the release of Washington Wizards guards John Wall and Bradley Beal and Atlanta Hawks forward Paul Millsap from its FIBA World Cup roster on Tuesday.

USA Basketball has scheduled a Tuesday 2 p.m. ET teleconference with chairman Jerry Colangelo and coach Mike Krzyzewski to comment on the finalists.

The three cuts reduced the overall number of players vying for the 12-man World Cup team to 16 entering next week's resumption of practices in Chicago.

After the devastating leg injury suffered Friday night by Indiana's Paul George, there are only five players among the final 16 who are widely regarded as shoo-ins for the plane that leaves for Spain on Aug. 23: Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant, Houston's James Harden, New Orleans' Anthony Davis, Chicago's Derrick Rose and Golden State's Stephen Curry.

The other 11 players competing for the final seven slots are guards Kyrie Irving (Cleveland), Damian Lillard (Portland), Kyle Korver (Atlanta), DeMar DeRozan (Toronto) and Klay Thompson (Golden State); forwards Chandler Parsons (Dallas), Kenneth Faried (Denver) and Gordon Hayward (Utah); and centers DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento), Andre Drummond (Detroit) and Mason Plumlee (Brooklyn).

ESPN.com reported earlier Monday that every player who participated in camp last week in Las Vegas had committed to keeping his name in the hat for one of the final 12 roster spots despite suggestions that the scary nature of George's injury could dissuade some teammates from playing on.

"The ending to our Las Vegas training camp with the injury to Paul George was very emotional for everyone involved in USA Basketball," Colangelo said in a statement. "I very much appreciate the outpouring of support Paul and USA Basketball has received the past couple of days from the basketball world.

"... Paul's injury was an extremely unfortunate occurrence; it was truly a freak accident. We're all very pleased that his recovery is going well."

Although there is undoubtedly heightened concern within the group after watching George suffer a horrendous compound leg fracture in Friday night's intrasquad scrimmage, sources told ESPN.com that various Team USA players have talked among themselves about the need to stay together, with showing support for George ranking as one of their primary motivations.

"No one is pulling out," said one source.

Added a general manager who has a player on the Team USA squad: "No one on this team wants to walk away, because that would seem unfair to Paul. If there is any fallout from this injury, it may not be felt until the next time invites [for Team USA] go out."

Krzyzewski and Colangelo initially planned to make their first round of cuts on the morning after Friday's scrimmage. With the team scheduled to reconvene in Chicago on Aug. 13, USAB officials decided to keep 16 of their 19 available senior players -- one or two more than usual -- heading into the 10 remaining days of scheduled preparation on U.S. soil before leaving for Europe.

Page
  • 1
  • |
  • 2
Join the Discussion
You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...