Who says you get what you pay for?
If TripAdvisor's most recent round of Travelers’ Choice Awards are to be believed, it's possible that sometimes you get far more than what you'd expect for the money you spent.
The web site's list of hotels with exceptional service spans the globe, but it's a few of the U.S. properties that surprise.
Not on the list? Familiar names in luxury like Four Seasons, St. Regis and Peninsula. But Sleep Inn and Hampton Inn and Suites? Yes -- two of these 2.5-star hotels made the top 10. A few three-star hotels made the top 10, too.
So what do people like so much about the Sleep Inn in Idaho Falls, Idaho? One reviewer described it as "luxury in the middle of nowhere." Another called it "warm and welcoming." Even a family visitor who claimed their daughter got a rash from all the chlorine in the pool gave it four stars.
And how about that Hampton Inn and Suites? It's the place to stay if you find yourself in Mehlville, Missouri. One reviewer said the Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis/South I-55 had the "friendliest staff" while another said it was a "clean hotel with an extremely friendly staff."
Top 10 Hotels for Service in the U.S.:
1. Desert Riviera Hotel, Palm Springs, California
2. Hotel California, Palm Springs, California
3. SeaCoast Inn, Hyannis, Massachusetts
4. Beachside Village Resort, Lauderdale by the Sea, Florida
5. La Maison Hotel, Palm Springs, California
6. The Hotel SYNC, Bowling Green, Kentucky
7. Alhambra Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
8. Sleep Inn & Suites, Idaho Falls, Idaho
9. Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis/South I-55, Mehlville, Missouri
10. Olea Hotel, Glen Ellen
The Travelers’ Choice Hotels with Exceptional Service honors 1,762 properties in 98 regions and countries across the globe. Award-winners were determined "based on the millions of reviews and opinions of TripAdvisor travelers worldwide, taking into account the quality of reviews and ratings for service," said the web site.