Alleged Duke Rape Victim Pregnant

The April 4 photo line-up in which the defendants were identified followed a March line-up in which the woman could not identify anyone as her attacker.

"This procedure was designed to permit [the accuser] to pick any person she desired and identify him as the attacker," the motion said. "That person would then be charged with rape."

Some independent experts agree. Gary Wells, president of the American Psychology-Law Society, has described the Duke lacrosse line-up procedure as a "multiple-choice test without any wrong answers."

If the motion -- which recounts in great detail the contradictory statements the accuser had made to police, doctors and nurses -- is successful, it could severely undermine Nifong's case, and pave the way for defense attorneys to ask that the charges be dismissed.

Presiding Judge Osmond Smith III set the hearing date for arguments on the admissibility of the photo line-up for Feb. 5. Nifong said he intended to call three police officers and the accuser to testify in the hearing -- though it was unclear how the woman could testify if she was set to give birth that week.

Attorneys for the three accused players said that public statements made by Nifong have irreversibly tainted any potential jury pool in Durham.

"The defendants do not seek to change venue in these cases merely because there has been publicity, nor do they seek trial in a location in which no publicity has occurred," the lawyers said in their motion.

"Rather, what the defendants seek, and what they are entitled to under the Constitution, is a trial in a community which has not been polarized by pre-trial publicity or torn apart by the circumstances of these cases," the motion said. "Regrettably, Durham is not that community."

One local and one national news organization reported on Thursday that the alleged victim's child had been born, leading to some confusion inside the courtroom today.

"I've heard the child has been born. I've heard the child has not been born ... of course, there's no proof here today," presiding Judge Osmond Smith III said.

Nifong told him that the child was due in February. While he acknowledged that the child could not have been a "product" of the alleged attacks at the lacrosse party, he did not address the issue of who the father might be.

The alleged victim's own father watched from the gallery but did not comment on the day's proceedings.

Finnerty's father, Kevin, expressed deep frustration with the case against his son -- particularly the fact that other men's DNA turned up in testing, while none of the players' genetic material did, and Nifong indicted them anyway.

"Where is the justice?" he said outside court. "Why the rush to indict?"

Sally Fogarty, the mother of another Duke lacrosse player, was among a group of students and parents who showed up in court to support the defendants and their families.

"It's just been horrible," she said. "The one thing I've been so naïve about was that a district attorney and a police department could do this kind of thing. We believed in the justice system. Three kids' lives are being completely ruined. Three family's lives are being completely ruined."

Evans, who was the captain of the lacrosse team, graduated from Duke last spring. Finnerty and Seligmann have been suspended from the school pending the outcome of the charges.

Fogarty, who is part of the close-knit community of Duke lacrosse families that includes the defendants, said the defense has cost "roughly $80,000 a month per family."

"Every single day I think of Colin and Dave and Reade. David, whom we love, has got a job and he's moving on. But I think about them because they had just begun."

Page
  • 1
  • |
  • 2
Join the Discussion
You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...