The Prosecutor's Defense -- Lawyer for Ex-Duke Prosecutor Nifong Speaks Out

Share
Copy

Mike Nifong, the embattled prosecutor once at the helm of the Duke lacrosse rape case, revealed little as he appeared in court Wednesday to face serious ethics charges by the North Carolina Bar.

In an interview with "Good Morning America," though, Nifong's attorney said that his stone-face expression buried the true feelings of a man under siege.

"He's devastated. It's very upsetting to be attacked. … It's like he's public enemy No. 1," said David Freedman, Nifong's attorney.

"Here's a man who's trying to do his job as an elected DA in Durham County. He's always held himself up as an ethical individual. … It's a bit of a surprise."

Nifong was charged Wednesday with new allegations that include making false statements in court and withholding key DNA evidence. Those, along with earlier charges of making inappropriate public statements about the case, could cost Nifong his job and his livelihood.

"It's very, very serious stuff. Mr. Nifong could lose his law license. [If that happens] he could no longer be [Durham County] district attorney," said Rufus Edmisten, a lawyer and former attorney general of North Carolina.

The new ethics charges have made Nifong feel like he's battling the world, not just supporters of the accused Duke lacrosse players.

"Obviously he's feeling dejected because he's got these new charges against him. He feels as if the world is turning against him," Freedman said.

Would Still Bring the Charges Against the Duke Players

Nifong still has his supporters, though. After leaving the State Bar courtroom, he was approached by a stranger while walking down the street.

According to Freedman, the middle-age woman looked up, called out to Nifong, ran toward him, and hugged him.

"We're praying for you," she said.

Nifong denies having knowingly lied or purposely hid evidence in the Duke case. Even after everything that has happened, he does not regret filing charges against three Duke lacrosse players.

"I have asked him if he would do it all over again, would he bring these charges," Freedman said. "He said yes because he believes that indeed that this [crime] occurred."

Nifong, however, concedes that he should not have called Duke lacrosse players "hooligans" in the early weeks of the investigation.

"He may regret some of the things he may have said," Freedman said. But, Freedman also pointed out, "If many of us had an opportunity to go back and do something over, we might do it differently."

"I don't think he would have changed his mind about the charges," Freedman said.

Had an Obligation

Given what he knew after he first heard the allegations of rape and assault, it was part of Nifong's obligation as a prosecutor to pursue the case, according to former North Carolina attorney general Edmisten.

"You have to remember this: The [sexual assault] charges were brought to him," he said. "In many cases it's 'he said, she said' -- and that's not unusual. Charges are sometimes brought on that."

Nifong's written response to the ethics complaint will be filed by Feb. 23 and will contain more details about his defense, Freedman said.

Nifong recused himself from the Duke lacrosse case on Jan. 13. Since then, reams of evidence have been transferred to the custody of North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper's office, which has taken over the prosecution's case.

Page
  • 1
  • |
  • 2
Join the Discussion
You are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer. Please click here to upgrade your browser in order to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
You Might Also Like...
See It, Share It
PHOTO: U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers at the George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston stopped a would be smuggler from bringing nearly 7 ounces of cocaine into the country in tamales, Aug. 22, 2014.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Real Housewife Phaedra Parks Lists Home in Suburban Atlanta
Real Housewives of Atlanta star, Phaedra Parks, has listed her 4,000-square-foot home with 5 bedrooms and 6 baths for $340,900.
In this image from video posted on Facebook, courtesy of the George W. Bush Presidential Center, former President George W. Bush participates in the ice bucket challenge with the help of his wife, Laura Bush, in Kennebunkport, Maine.
(Courtesy George W. Bush Presidential Center/AP)
Photo: While being a stay-at-home parent can beneficial, transitioning to a single income family can be difficult.
Lina Aidukaite/Getty Images