Alleged Victim Calls Philadelphia Abortion Doc Kermit Gosnell a 'Monster'

VIDEO: Dr. Kermit Gosnell allegedly performed unsafe and illegal late-term abortions.

When Robyn Reid heard that abortion doctor, Kermit Gosnell, had been charged with killing viable babies with scissors and giving a woman a lethal dose of painkillers, she felt sick.

"I didn't know that he was such a monster doing this to everyone," Reid said. "I didn't think it'd happened to somebody else. I thought it was just me."

Gosnell, 69, and nine employees from his West Philadelphia Women's Medical Society were arrested Jan. 19 and charged with several offenses. Gosnell was charged with eight counts of murder for allegedly killing babies born alive and giving a lethal dose of Demerol to a woman.

Gosnell "induced labor, forced the live birth of viable babies in the sixth, seventh, eighth month of pregnancy and then killed those babies by cutting into the back of the neck with scissors and severing their spinal cord," Philadelphia District Attorney Seth Williams has said.

For 13 years, Reid said that she lived with the horror of Jan. 31, 1998. Then 15 and three months pregnant, she said that her grandmother took her to Gosnell's clinic.

"I'll never forget that triangle-shaped building," Reid said. "There was a woman coming out of the building and she looked dazed and confused. No one was helping her. It was scary to me as a child. I remember looking at the lady thinking, 'Is this what I'm going to look like?'"

Reid said she planned to tell Gosnell that she didn't want the abortion and was going to sneak out of the clinic.

"When I said no, the doctor got upset and he ended up taking my clothes off, hitting me, my legs were tied to the stirrups," Reid said.

The 87-pound teen struggled with the man for 30 minutes, fighting him alone in the room, she said.

Gosnell's chilling defense of his alleged behavior haunts Reid. She said that he repeatedly told her, "This is the same care that I would give to my own daughter."

"I was fully dressed. He actually managed to get all of my clothes off and tie me down to the medical bed," she said. "I just remember my very last thought ... looking up at the light and thinking, 'Don't fall asleep.'"

Alleged Victim of Abortion Doc: 'What if I Had Died?'

Reid said that she fell asleep for 12 hours and never gained consciousness at the clinic. She said her mother and aunt carried her to the car and later to her aunt's home, where it would be hours before she awakened.

According to the grand jury report, in the cases for which he has been charged, Gosnell allegedly prepared a list of preset dosage levels to be administered in his absence. But no allowances were made for individual patient variations or for any monitoring of vital signs.

"What would you give somebody that small that would knock me out for 12 hours? What if I had died?" Reid asked.

Nicole Gaither, 38, was five months pregnant when she said she visited Gosnell in 2001 . Her cousin and others that she knew had used the clinic.

Since it was Gaither's first and only abortion, she didn't know what to expect.

Following the abortion, Gaither said that she was in excruciating pain.

"When I finally went back to work I could barely sit down at the stool," Gaither said. "The pain started to get worse."

Gaither returned to Gosnell. He did an ultrasound and told her that he had left fetal remains in her, Gaither said.

Without any anesthesia, Gaither said that Gosnell sucked the fetal remains out of her.

"I was just laying on the table and crying and I just asked the Lord to get me through it," Gaither said.

  • 1
  • |
  • 2
  • |
  • 3
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
You Might Also Like...