On May 31, the Orange County Board of Supervisors unanimously approved a legislative proposal to allow the County to recover the cost of search and rescue operations, according to a statement given to ABC News by a Board of Supervisors spokesperson.
"Individuals who recklessly put themselves and others in danger should pay the cost for such rescues. Innocent taxpayers should not bear the burden of these exorbitant costs," Town Supervisor Todd Spitzer said in the statement.
Under current state and county law, Orange County cannot receive restitution for search and rescue operations.
The Orange County Fire Authority is still awaiting the ruling on its briefing.
"I won't speculate on the case, but we're hopeful. We're waiting to see what happens," Concepcion said.
Efforts to reach Cendoya were not successful, as his phone, as well as his mother's, had been disconnected. Two phone messages were left for Cendoya's attorney regarding the restitution and the criminal charge, but the calls were not immediately returned.