Cops' Search in Lindsey Baum Case Comes Up Empty

Photo: Where is Lindsey Baum? Police, FBI Search for 10-Year-Old: Girls Mother Frantic After Lindsey Never Made it Home From a Friends House

Volunteers gathered in McCleary, Wash., this weekend to hunt for any trace of Lindsey Baum, the 11-year-old girl who has been missing for more than three months. Police acknowledged they are looking for new leads after a search failed to link a possible suspect to the girl's disappearance.

"There was no evidence that clearly indicated that the people and the individual we were looking at had anything to do with her disappearance," Undersheriff Rick Scott, of the Grays Harbor County Sheriff's Department, one of the agencies investigating the girl's disappearance, told "Having served these warrants, we found nothing, so we're pursuing other leads."

The affidavit for the warrants, which were released Friday and were served on Sept. 25, indicated that there were discrepancies in the alibi of the person police were looking at, a man who works at a retirement home near where Lindsey, who should have started sixth grade this fall, was last seen.

According to the affidavit, from Grays Harbor County Sheriff's Department Det. Matt Organ, police originally wanted to talk to the man because a person called and said his car, a small white sports car with a loud exhaust, was seen in the area the night of Lindsey's disappearance and then was not seen around for several days afterwards, which the tipster considered suspicious.

When police contacted the possible suspect, according to the affidavit, he told them he was working a second job at a youth camp that night, but a supervisor at the camp told police he was in fact not there and had been suspended two weeks earlier.

Police also became suspicious when they spoke to a former girlfriend of the man, who told them that the day after Lindsey's disappearance he said he was very concerned that something like that could happen in the town, the affidavit said.

Sibling Squabble Separated Lindsey From Her Brother Night of Disappearance

The man allegedly told the woman "he could not believe that a girl had been taken and cut up and dismembered," the affidavit said.

At that point, however, police were still treating the disappearance as a missing person case and had said nothing about suspecting foul play, according to the affidavit.

The man was the most recent in a series of people who police have looked closely at in the case, Scott said.

"There's been a lot of different people who had our attention and might have been called persons of interest," he said. "It might have been a matter of hours or a matter of days. The case where we served these warrants was just like that, but after having looked at what was found, we are pursuing other leads."

Lindsey disappeared the evening of June 26, somewhere along the 10-minute walk down a densely populated suburban street between her house and a friend's.

Lindsey's mother, Melissa Baum, told days after the disappearance that she last saw her daughter when Lindsey, along with her 12-year-old brother, Josh, headed out to Lindsey's friend's house in hopes she could get permission to spend the night at the Baum's house.

Baum said her children began squabbling over the use of Josh's bike on the way there and were stopped by a family friend who sent Josh home to end the argument. Lindsey continued on to her friend's house. When Lindsey's friend found out she couldn't stay the night, Lindsey headed for home around 9:30 p.m.

  • 1
  • |
  • 2
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
You Might Also Like...