Missing Michigan Mom Amy Henslee Is Still Alive, Police Say

PHOTO Amy Henslee

The Michigan mom of two who vanished from her home three days ago after kissing her husband goodbye and taking her sons to the bus is alive and may have left voluntarily, police said.

Michigan police believe Amy Henslee is a "voluntary missing person."

"Our investigation is focused on the fact that she is alive," Lt. Bill Lux from the Van Buren County Police Department said at a press conference today. "My belief is someone out there knows...and that's why time is of the essence for us. I urge anyone that knows to contact us."

Police said that Amy Henslee, 30, left her home Monday morning with just her black coat and Puma sneakers. Her purse was found in the house, police said.

"We've got nothing that says to us there was any foul play, there was any scuffle in the house, there was any abduction. We have no information that shows us any of that," Lux said.

James Henslee, Amy Henslee's husband, discovered that his wife had seemingly vanished when she didn't answer his phone calls from work.

He is not a suspect in his wife's disappearance and is cooperating with investigators, police said.

"Time's going by and you're just worried that you're not going to find her and that's what kills you the most," James Henslee said.

He last saw his wife when he kissed her goodbye as he headed to work Monday at 7:30 a.m. The couple's two young boys, 8 and 10 years old, had already left for school.

When James Henslee, 32, went to call his wife on his 10 a.m. break, she didn't pick up. He kept calling, becoming increasingly concerned because she had no car.

One of the family's cars wasn't working, forcing James Henslee to use what was normally his wife's vehicle.

Worried, James Henslee left work early, returning to home in Hartford Township to find the door locked and his wife missing.

He enlisted the help of friends and both his parents and Amy Henslee's parents to look for the woman. He called police at 4:20 p.m. on Monday to report that she was missing, police said.

James Henslee described his wife to police as someone who is afraid to open the door if it's a stranger and doesn't routinely leave the home to go for a walk or a jog.

"If she did leave with someone, it had to be somebody that she trusted and somebody that she knew or she wouldn't have opened the door or even left," Lt. Lux said.

A detailed examination of the home showed no tracks leading from the home. Amy Henslee does not have a cell phone, police said. She was not working, but had previously worked at a department store until September of last year.

Amy Henslee Disappears From Home, Leaves Behind Purse

"This is totally out of character," Wendy Boyd, a friend of the couple, said. "Anyone who knows Amy knows she would never not be home for her children."

Boyd last saw her close friend recently at a school gym where both their children were playing basketball games.

"We were all in the same gymnasium together … of course, always a big hug, always a big smile, 'I love you, I miss you.' I said, 'OK, I hope Jared [Henslee's son] has a wonderful game, I miss you baby girl and I'll see you later,'" Boyd said.

Boyd and other friends and family of the couple have been blanketing the town with pictures of Amy Henslee.

A "Find Amy Henslee" Facebook page has been created, which already has thousands of postings with messages calling her a sweet mom with a beautiful spirit.

Boyd said the disappearance is taking a toll on Amy Henslee's two sons.

  • 1
  • |
  • 2
Join the Discussion
blog comments powered by Disqus
You Might Also Like...
See It, Share It
PHOTO: Director Wes Craven attends the screening of Life Itself at the ArcLight Cinemas, June 26, 2014, in Hollywood, Calif.
Paul Archuleta/FilmMagic/Getty Images
PHOTO: Kanye West accepts the Vanguard Award onstage during the 2015 MTV Video Music Awards at Microsoft Theater on August 30, 2015 in Los Angeles, California.
Christopher Polk/MTV1415/Getty Images
PHOTO: Russian President Vladimir Putin works out at Bocharov Ruchei residence in Sochi, Russia, Aug. 30, 2015.
Russian Presidential Press and Information Office/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images