Sources told ABCNEWS the Pentagon report may fail to answer how high the periscope was raised, a critical issue for determining the range of vision the captain and his watch officer would have had. However, the report said the officers did not wait an excessively long time after scanning the surface before bringing the submarine to the surface.
Officials: Unlikely That Civilians Played a Role
Fargo released the names of the 16 civilians aboard the Greeneville at a press conference on Saturday. The visitors included two from Kansas, two from Massachusetts, eight from Texas, two from Hawaii and two from Colorado.
Two of the 16 were at control positions when it surfaced under the Ehime Maru.
Though investigators found the civilian visitors on the submarine did not create any major distractions, they said it was clear the sub would not have carried out the "emergency blow," a rapid rise to the surface, if the guests had not been aboard.
Even before the Pentagon report, officials said they do not believe the 16 civilian guests on the submarine played a direct role in the incident, though they have not ruled out the possibility.
The report also finds that officers of the submarine did search for survivors of the Japanese boat once the collision occurred, but choppy ocean conditions may have prevented them from seeing any.
Investigators have been looking into why Waddle failed to spot the Japanese trawler either through the periscope or by using sonar just before descending deep and then performing the emergency blow. In addition, President Bush ordered a review of all policies concerning civilian activity during military exercises.
The NTSB has been conducting its own investigation into the crash because it involved a civilian vessel. NTSB spokesman John Hammerschmidt confirmed that a civilian was allowed to flip the Greeneville's ballast activation levers, which shoots the water out of its ballast tanks helping to raise the vessel quickly to the surface during the emergency maneuver.
The Navy announced Friday that submarines would not be allowed to carry out the emergency surfacing maneuver with civilians on board until the investigation is completed. However, nonmilitary visitors will still be allowed on submarines, Navy officials said.
Anti-American Resentment Growing
Japanese resentment over the crash continues to swell.
"It is outrageous. [The U.S. Navy] is slack," Defense Agency chief Toshitsugu Saito said at a news conference.
Relations between the U.S. armed forces and the Japanese government were troubled even before this accident at sea. Okinawans have been bitter about their island's use as a home base for the bulk of the U.S. military presence in Japan — approximately 26,000 of the 48,000 U.S. troops are stationed in the entire country.
To exacerbate the issue, Marine Lt. Gen. Earl Hailston, the senior U.S. commander on Okinawa, recently called his hosts "nuts and wimps" in an internal e-mail message. Hailston later apologized.
As a result of those problems, including several documented assaults on local woman by American servicemen, the local government of the island adopted a resolution calling for a revision of an agreement on U.S. military forces to enable local police to detain criminal suspects more easily.
In that resolution, Okinawans asked for the military to hand over a Marine suspected in a series of arson attacks last month. Okinawa police have prepared an arrest warrant for 23-year-old Marine Lance Cpl. Kurt Billie on suspicion of setting fire to several restaurants.
It is possible that Bush's first opportunity for a personal apology over the accident could come as early as next month when Mori comes to the United States in early March to meet Bush, according to one Japanese newspaper.
ABCNEWS' Neal Karlinsky and The Associated Press contributed to this report.