Two Americans were pulled out of the rubble of a Port-au-Prince, Haiti hotel at the end of a day when rescue teams, food, military aid and medicine finally began trickling in to the earthquake-ravaged Haitian capital.
Sarla Chand of New Jersey thanked rescuers for saving her life as she was carried out of the rubble of the Hotel Montana late Thursday. She ate a cookie and was checked by doctors as a French team tried to free several other apparent survivors, many of them believed to be Americans.
Another American, Richard Santos of Washington, D.C., was pulled from the rubble soon afterwards.
Santos is the president and CEO of IMA World Health Organization and Chand was the organization's vice president of international programs. The organization reported other staff members also were missing earlier in the day.
Associated Press Television News (APTN) reported that another American woman, Coralie Mevs, was rescued after being trapped under rubble for an hour. She suffered head and spinal cord injuries, and was airlifted to Fort Lauderdale at her family's expense.
Speaking to APTN, her mother, Marguerite Mevs, said, "She was trapped I think around for an hour, it lasted an hour, fortunately some people the building where she was collapsed in part so some other people that were there saw it and were able to rescue her very quickly."
The rescues came after President Obama today announced "one of the largest relief efforts" in U.S. history moving towards the country.
However, aid efforts have been slowed by a heavily damaged airport in Port-au-Prince, impassable roads and crumbling infrastructure, leaving rescue workers largely unable to get desperately needed food, water and medical supplies into the capital.
Some angry Haitians, frustrated by the delays, stacked corpses and debris as roadblocks to protest the delay in aid reaching Port-au-Prince, an eyewitness told the Reuters news agency.
Shaul Schwarz, a photographer for TIME magazine, told Reuters that he saw at least two downtown roadblocks formed with bodies of earthquake victims and rocks. "They are starting to block the roads with bodies," he said, "It's getting ugly out there. People are fed up with getting no help."
David Wimhurst, spokesman for the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Haiti told the AP that people "want us to provide them with help, which is, of course, what we want to do."
But, he added, they see U.N. vehicles patrolling the streets to maintain calm, and not delivering aid, and "they're slowly getting more angry and impatient."
Expatriates based in Port-au-Prince told ABC News that they are already beginning to sense resentment among Haitians at the publicized rescues of foreigners from the rubble.
The Port-au-Prince airport now is operational for humanitarian and military flights only, the Federal Aviation Administration said. U.S. personnel have established control of the airport with Haitian controllers providing air traffic support.
Earlier, the FAA had taken over the main airport because the control tower collapsed in Tuesday's devastating 7.0 quake. The damage caused intermittent ground stops on flights to Haiti Thursday because of limited ground space to park planes and fuel shortages.
Click here to get up-to-date information on the Haiti earthquake.
Haitian President Rene Preval and Prime Minister Jean-Max Bellerive have predicted the death toll could reach 100,000.