Army Says Parents of Soldier Never Called Inspector General To Warn of Thrill Kills

Phone records show parents did speak with someone at base command center.

Oct. 1, 2010 — -- This story has been updated.

After an internal investigation, the Army has issued a statement saying that the parents of a soldier charged with murdering unarmed Afghans never called the Army's inspector general. The Army acknowledges that Christopher and Emma Winfield did call several numbers at their son's Army base in the U.S., and had an extended conversation with someone at the base's command center, but says the Winfields failed to leave a message with the criminal investigations unit at the base.

The Winfields had claimed in an interview with ABC News that in February they warned the Army by phone that soldiers in their son Adam's unit were thrill killing civilians. One of the murders with which Winfield and four other soldiers are now charged took place after the calls.

"The Army takes very seriously recent media reporting in which the father of Spc. Adam Winfield said he alerted the Army to allegations of crimes by Soldiers deployed to Afghanistan," said the Army's statement. "We have not yet found any evidence to indicate Mr. Winfield called the office of the Army's Inspector General."

"We examined the phone records of the Winfield family, with their consent. Based on this examination we have determined that another federal agency's Inspector General was called by mistake." The Winfields had claimed in their interview with ABC News that they called the Army Inspector General's office.

The Army also confirms, however, that the Winfields "called the headquarters at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, as media reports have stated."

A review of the Winfields' phone records by ABC News shows that the Winfields called four different numbers at Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Tacoma, including the command center, the main phone, the chapel, and criminal investigations, also known as CID. CID is responsible for investigating alleged criminal acts by Army personnel.

In a follow-up statement to ABC News, Army spokesman Tom Collins said, "The evidence shows that he called several numbers on a Sunday. He spoke to one individual for approximately 12 minutes. He did call the Army Criminal Investigations Division, but he did not leave a message and did not follow a prompt to call the 24-hour MP desk."

Collins said the conversation Winfield had was with someone at the Lewis-McChord Command Center. He declined to discuss the specifics of that conversation because the matter is still under investigation.

Christopher Winfield told ABC News that he spoke to a sergeant at the command center for 16 minutes, detailing his son's claims about the murder of an Afghan civilian.

Phone records also show that the Winfields called an investigations number at CIA headquarters in Virginia.

'You Guys Wanna Wax This Guy Or What?'

At the time of the alleged murders, Adam Winfield and the other soldiers were serving at Forward Operating Base Ramrod in southern Afghanistan. On a videotaped confession obtained by ABC News, one of the soldiers, Corporal Jeremy Morlock, described how his Sergeant, Calvin Gibbs, had the men in his unit pick out civilians at random and then kill them with grenades and rifle fire.

"Gibbs called it like, 'Hey you guys wanna, you guys wanna wax this guy or what?' And you know, he set it up, like, he grabbed the dude."

Morlock told how Gibbs allegedly threw a grenade at the civilian, and then told Morlock and the others, 'Wax this guy. You know, kill this guy, kill this guy.' "

Morlock said that killing people came "too easy" to Gibbs. ""He just really doesn't have any problems with f___ing killing these, these people, to be honest."

Morlock also told investigators he believed that Gibbs was crazy and wouldn't hesitate to silence witnesses.

"If Gibbs knew that I was sitting in front of this camera right now," said Morlock, "there's no doubt in my mind that he'd f------ take me out if he had to."


CLICK HERE to follow the ABC News Investigative Team's coverage on Twitter.

'The Threats Are Already Coming My Way'

In February, Adam Winfield told his parents back home in Florida about the grenade incident via Facebook.

"Did you not understand what I just told you what people did in my platoon?" wrote Adam.

"Murder," responded his mother, Emma.

"Yeah, an innocent dude," answered Adam. "I want to do something about it. The only problem is I don't feel safe here telling anyone."

Adam said that there was a rumor that he was going to talk and "the threats are already coming my way." His mother then told him she would "do the right thing" and get him some help. Adam suggested she contact the Army, and she said "ok."

As Chris Winfield, Adam's father, told ABC News in an interview, "The guy that was doing this was his superior. This was his staff sergeant."

"[Adam] said that if he told anybody over there," said Chris Winfield, " that this particular individual was keeping an eye on him. And he would never make it past that night. He would never make it home.

The Winfields say they called six different Army offices and Senator Bill Nelson, D.-Fla., to get help.

Chris Winfield said he left at least four messages. "I said my son is in Afghanistan. . . . He's in the front lines. There's a rogue sergeant out there apparently killing innocent victims. And my son found out about this. And they're threatening him because he might say something. And I said you gotta get him out of there. You need to call me back, please."

At the command center at Fort Lewis, Washington, the headquarters for his son's division, Winfield says he finally got a sergeant on the line, with a disappointing response.

Recalls Winfield, "The sergeant came back to me and said, 'You know, it's a terrible situation, but from our end, it's a he-said, she said conversation. And there's nothing we can do about it.

"I was floored," said Winfield.

Sen. Nelson's office told ABC News they had no record of a call from the Winfields.

Gibbs Becomes Suspicious of Winfield

Meanwhile, in Afghanistan, Staff Sgt. Gibbs was becoming suspicious of Winfield, according to other soldiers.

An Army investigator asked Cpl. Morlock during his taped confession if he thought Gibbs was serious about maybe having to "take out" Winfield.

"Oh, f___ yeah, for sure, definitely," answered Morlock.

"So you didn't take that as a joke," said the investigator, "or like maybe it was just bull____."

"[Gibbs] doesn't bulls____," said Morlock. "He doesn't need to."

Chris Winfield told ABC News he gave his son a message from the Army. " I told him, this is what they told us to do, you know, duck. Keep your head down. Stay away from this guy. Do the best you can. You know? And it's tough. As a parent, you know? I didn't expect him to come home."

Adam Winfield did come home, but he is now charged with pre-meditated murder. Three months after trying to blow the whistle, he says Sergeant Gibbs forced him to take part in another murder.

He claims he aimed his rifle over the body of the Afghan victim.

Said Emma Winfield, "It's heartbreaking. You know, again, I'm so thankful that he made it out of there alive. But he doesn't deserve to be treated the way he's been treated. When in February, he reached out. And as parents we did what we could do. And we will probably always regret that we didn't do more."

"But we were working from the place that he was afraid for his life," said Emma. "And we weren't going to do anything to risk his life. And now, in essence, we're just fighting for his life. And fighting for justice to be done."

'A Serial Killer'

At Fort Lewis Monday, the military held its first hearing on the case, as lawyers for Corporal Morlock sought to have the videotaped confession kept out of evidence, maintaining he only played along during the murders, and that he was heavily medicated with prescription drugs during the interview.

"My client did not kill anyone," said Waddington. "He did not use any bullets or grenades to kill any of those individuals."

Waddington said his client had little choice but to go along with Gibbs. "If your sergeant says, 'Let's go to this village, we're going to sweep this village and he throws a grenade at someone, and threatens you that if you're not on his team and you're a possible snitch and you're going to get beaten or killed by him, then you're going to role play along with it."

A lawyer for Sergeant Gibbs declined to comment on the case, but it is clear the other soldiers will seek to blame him for forcing them to participate. Eric Montalvo, the lawyer for Adam Winfield, told ABC News that he believes Gibbs is "essentially a serial killer," calling him "Mansonesque."

The military says the investigation of the murders also led to the discovery of widespread drug use at Forward Operating Base Ramrod.

Corporal Emmitt Quintal, one of the men charged, blamed the drug use on "Bad days, stressful days, days that we just needed to escape" in a taped interview with Army investigators.

Asked how frequently the men used drugs to escape, Quintal responded, "I'd say probably anywhere from three to four, every three to four days."

The Winfields say they believe their son Adam was a good soldier.

"You know, he's a good kid," said Chris Winfield.

Follow BrianRoss on Twitter

"That was put in a horrific situation," added his wife, "with you know, a lack of command out in the field. And a failure of the military to be responsive to a cry for help."

The military now confirms it is investigating the allegations that the parents of Adam Winfield tried back in February to warn the Army that both innocent Afghan civilians, and U.S. soldiers, were being put at risk.

Click Here for the Blotter Homepage.