Herman Cain Accuser Not Surprised at Cain's Denial
Ginger White claims to have had a 13-year affair with GOP candidate.
Nov. 29, 2011 — -- The Georgia woman who says she carried on a 13-year affair with Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain said she is not surprised Cain is denying the affair took place.
"I can't image him actually confirming," Ginger White told ABC News' Atlanta affiliate WSB late Monday night. "It's the name of the game I guess."
White came forward Monday evening in an interview with Fox News' Atlanta affiliate WAGA to claim that for more than a decade she and Cain carried on a lavish affair. Cain and White spent many nights in a ritzy Atlanta hotel, he showered her with gifts and paid for her to travel to events where Cain was speaking, White said.
"It wasn't complicated. I was aware that he was married. And I was also aware that I was involved in a very inappropriate situation, relationship," White told WAGA. "He made it very intriguing, very fun. It was something that took me away from my humdrum life at the time."
White provided WAGA with documents, including cell phone records showing calls and texts in the early morning hours allegedly between the two, to support her claim.
But before WAGA could air their exclusive report, Herman Cain appeared on CNN Monday to deny the story ahead of time and say that while he considered White a friend, there was absolutely no sex involved.
"I acknowledge that I've known her for about that period of time," Cain told CNN's Wolf Blitzer. "But the accusation that I had a 13-year affair with her, no."
Court documents obtained by ABC News show White, a single mother, has a long history of legal and financial problems, including a threatened eviction notice earlier this month.
"I don't think that makes me out to be a bad person. It makes me out to be one of the millions of people right now trying to keep a roof over their head," White told WAGA.
White's accusation comes just two weeks after Cain's wife of 43 years, Gloria, made a rare public appearance to defend her husband in the wake of accusations of sexual misconduct by several other women.
"His conscience would bother him and he couldn't look me straight in the eye," Gloria Cain said.
Cain's attorney, Lin Wood, provided WAGA with a statement before the broadcast Monday saying White's claim "appears to be an accusation of private, alleged consensual conduct between adults -- a subject matter which is not a proper subject of inquiry by the media or the public."
"No individual, whether a private citizen, a candidate for public office or a public official, should be questioned about his or her private sexual life," Wood's statement said, according to WAGA. That statement, apparently made before Cain's appearance on CNN, said the presidential candidate would not speak about the allegations.
In another statement, Cain's campaign called the accusations just another attempt to "derail the Cain Train."
"The Cain Campaign is not surprised that another female accuser has come forward due to the fact that earlier allegations were unable to force Herman Cain to drop his presidential bid to renew America," the campaign said.