Jan. 28, 2011 — -- Though the U.S. State Department and Pakistani officials are at odds over the identity of a U.S. consular employee accused of killing two Pakistani men, private security officer Raymond Davis was involved in the incident, sources told ABC News today.
Davis, a "technical adviser" to the U.S. government whose record shows experience in the U.S. Special Forces, is accused of shooting two men who were apparently attempting to rob him Thursday in Lahore. A third Pakistani man was killed when a vehicle struck him while reportedly racing to the American's aid.
Pakistani officials named Davis as the accused American to ABC News, in reports and in court documents Thursday, but State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said the name had been misreported.
A source close to Davis told ABC News today he was involved in the incident.
Court documents filed in Lahore list Davis as charged with murder. A trial will determine whether the killing was intentional, accidental or in self-defense.
After denying the man's name is Raymond Davis, State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley would not say who accused government employee is, in what capacity he worked for the embassy or why he was apparently carrying a firearm.
"I can confirm that an employee at the U.S. consulate in Lahore was involved in an incident today," Crowley said Thursday. "It is under investigation. We have not released the identity of our employee at this point."
Davis runs Hyperion Protective Consultants, LLC, a company that provides "loss and risk management professionals."
Since it is not known in what capacity Davis was working for the government, it is not clear whether he is entitled to diplomatic immunity.
The State Department did not immediately respond to requests for comment on this report.