Smith, 22, told ABC News that a doctor advised he receive suspension microlaryngoscopy surgery. He is expected to make a full recovery and be back in six to eight weeks.
"Dear all: I am very upset to announce I have been battling to get my vocal cords better the last 10 days but unfortunately they haven't recovered and I am going to need surgery," the Grammy winner said.
The surgery requires Smith to miss upcoming events such as the Billboard Music Awards.
"I'm so gutted to be missing all the shows and events I was meant to be playing at. The doctors say I will be back in 6-8 weeks and I cannot wait to sing for you all soon," he said.
On Instagram, the singer added, "By doing this in 8 weeks time I'm gonna be able to sing like never before so it's worth it. I am so sorry to all. Dreading the next month thou, I can't speak for THREE WEEKS after the op."
Earlier this week Smith posted a picture of himself and the caption said he was upset over having to miss more performances.
"Very upset about Japan and Manilla dates. I've just left Australia and I'm on my way to the states to see a specialist to see what to do from there... This is f****** horrid," he wrote on Monday.