— -- Days after Sean Combs' arrest for assault with a deadly weapon, new details have emerged, alleging the UCLA coach tried to grab the music mogul's phone before Combs defended himself with a training weight.
After Combs' representatives told ABC News on Tuesday that he was acting in a "solely defensive" nature during his incident with Sal Alosi earlier in the week, a source familiar with Combs' version of the dust-up said that the incident occurred after the rapper's son was sent home from practice by Alosi.
The source said that Combs went to chat with the coach, but that he refused to talk. The situation then got heated and Combs went to call police, only to have Alosi allegedly grab at his cell phone. That's when Combs used the kettlebell as defense, the source continues.
Combs, 45, allegedly assaulted and threatened the coach Monday with the kettlebell weight, according to local police at the time.
ESPN's Shelley Smith added that Combs' son Justin was "berated" for being lazy and not giving his all by Alosi just before the two got into it.
Alosi has yet to respond to ABC News's request for comment.
These new details come hours after Combs broke his silence, via his rep, on the arrest, saying "The various accounts of the event and charges that are being reported are wholly inaccurate. What we can say now is that any actions taken by Mr. Combs were solely defensive in nature to protect himself and his son."
The rep added, "We are confident that once the true facts are revealed, the case will be dismissed."
The incident took place around 12:30 p.m. at the school's training complex and Combs was arrested on several counts of assault with a deadly weapon, among other counts, according to the school's police department.
The L.A. County D.A.’s Office said Tuesday that no charges have been filed against Combs.
Late Tuesday, Combs posted a picture of him with his son and the hashtag "Family First."