— -- Hip-hop mogul Sean 'Diddy' Combs is thanking the Los Angeles County district attorney after the D.A.'s office declined to file felony charges following his alleged assault on a UCLA football coach with a kettlebell weight.
"We are thankful that the district attorney rejected felony charges in this matter," Combs' attorney, Mark Geragos, said in a statement to ABC News. "This case never should have been part of the criminal justice system to begin with."
Combs, 45, was arrested last week on several counts of assault with a deadly weapon, among other charges, according to UCLA's police department. Combs' son Justin is a defensive back for UCLA.
But on Thursday, the D.A.'s office told ABC News that the rapper will no longer face felony charges.
"We've referred the case to the city attorney’s office for misdemeanor filing consideration," the D.A.'s office told ABC News today.
A source familiar with Combs' version of the dust-up told ABC News the incident occurred after the rapper's son was sent home from practice by Sal Alosi, one of the school's coaches.
The source said Combs went to chat with the coach, but Alosi refused to talk. The situation then got heated and Combs went to call police, only to have Alosi allegedly grab his phone, the source continued, saying that's when Combs used the kettlebell as a defense.
Alosi did not immediately respond to ABC News's request for comment.
A rep for Combs said that the "various accounts of the event and charges that are being reported are wholly inaccurate" and that "any actions taken by Mr. Combs were solely defensive in nature to protect himself and his son."
The rep added, "We are confident that once the true facts are revealed, the case will be dismissed."