Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford to Return in Latest ‘Indiana Jones’ Installment
The new "Indiana Jones" film is set to be released in July 2019.
— -- It's official! "Indiana Jones" is coming back to the silver screen for a fifth film.
The Walt Disney Studios confirmed in a press release on Tuesday that Harrison Ford will be reprising his role as Dr. Henry Walton "Indiana" Jones, Jr. in a new "Indiana Jones" movie, which will be directed by Steven Spielberg and is set to be released in July 2019.
“Indiana Jones is one of the greatest heroes in cinematic history, and we can’t wait to bring him back to the screen in 2019,” said Alan Horn, chairman of The Walt Disney Studios.
“It’s rare to have such a perfect combination of director, producers, actor and role, and we couldn’t be more excited to embark on this adventure with Harrison and Steven,” Horn continued.
Spielberg, 69, who directed all four of the earlier films in the "Indiana Jones" franchise had previously stated that no one could replace Ford as the iconic character amid rumors that a number of Hollywood actors were being looked at to take over the role from 73-year-old Ford.
"There is only going to be one actor playing Indiana Jones and that’s Harrison Ford,” Spielberg said this past December.
Ford first portrayed Indiana Jones in 1981’s "Raiders of the Lost Ark," and continued his role as the famed archaeologist in 1984’s "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom," 1989’s "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade," and most recently in 2008’s "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull."
The upcoming "Indiana Jones" film is not yet titled and will be produced by Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall.
Disney is the parent company of ABC News.
Republican base sounds ready for Trump's promised 'retribution,' with some exceptions
- Feb 25, 8:07 AM
A former funeral home owner has been arrested after a corpse lay in a hearse for 2 years
- Feb 23, 12:26 PM
ABC News Live
24/7 coverage of breaking news and live events