Aug. 15, 2008 — -- Everything goes better with bacon, potato salad included. That's why Kathy Knapp's BLT Potato Salad took the tater title in Emeril's Best Potato Salad Ever Challenge.
Runners-up were Cathy Fondren's Creamy Potato Salad and Trish Gray's Roasted Potato Salad. It was a spud-tacular showing from all five semifinalists.
You can read all of the recipes below. Just click to the next page to see the next recipe.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
1. Wash and boil potatoes until tender. Let cool.
2. Chop and cook bacon and onion together, until bacon is crispy. Drain grease into a bowl and reserve.
3. In a small bowl mix mayonnaise, sour cream, bacon drippings and milk. In a large bowl, combine potato, eggs, and the onion-bacon mixture. Add mayo mixture to potato mixture and toss. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
4. Served topped with lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese.
Cathy Fondren Blytheville, Ark.
1. Place potatoes in large pot and cover with water. Boil until fork tender and drain.Shock potatoes in a large bowl of ice water to stop cooking process.
2. Hard boil eggs. Let cool, then chop.
3. Mix together cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, mustard and salt & pepper to taste. Then add chopped Vidalia onion, chopped pickles, pickle juice, pimentos and grated cheddar cheese.
4. By now your potatoes should be cool enough to peel and cut into cubes. After peeling and cubing, add to the creamy mixture. Toss to combine.
Trish Gray Plano, Tex.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Toss quartered potatoes in canola oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on a rimmed cookie sheet and roast until browned.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine green onions, bacon, rosemary and mayonnaise. Once potatoes are done, add potatoes to bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Toss and serve warm.
Vicki Green and Kaylin Reynolds-Dowdell Brownstone, Mich.
Boil potatoes until tender (but not mushy), let cool in the refrigerator for an hour. Add all other ingredients to large bowl and toss well to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
1. Place potatoes, eggs, onions, radishes, and dill in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
2. In a small bowl, mix mustard into mayonnaise. Combine with potato mixture. Adjust seasonings to taste. Mixture should be moist -- you may need to add more mayo.