Dec. 5, 2008 -- Celebrity chef Rocco DiSpirito unveils some recipes that will add zest to your next home-cooked meal. Enjoy a starter of stuffed artichokes, or a tasty take on an old favorite -- spaghetti and meatballs. These recipes are perfect for an Italian feast, so go ahead, DO try this at home.
Mama's Meatballs and Spaghetti
3 cloves garlic, crushed
½ yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
3 tablespoons Bertolli® extra-virgin olive oil
Crushed red pepper
2 28–ounce cans tomato puree
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon sugar
1/3 cup chicken broth
¼ cup yellow onion
1 clove garlic, peeled
½ cup torn flat-leaf parsley
½ pound ground beef
½ pound ground pork
½ pound ground veal
1/3 cup plain dry bread crumbs
2 eggs, lightly beaten
¼ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon salt
Bertolli® extra-virgin olive oil
6 cups Mama's Marinara or your favorite marinara
1 pound dried spaghetti
1. In a large saucepan cook the garlic and onion in olive oil over medium-low heat until garlic is tender and onions are translucent but not brown, about 10 minutes.
2. Add tomato products. Pour chicken broth into one of the 28-ounce cans. Fill the rest of the way with water. Add to pan, along with sugar. Stir and bring to a simmer. Season with salt to taste; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile, make the meatballs: In a food processor puree chicken broth, onion, garlic and parsley.
4. In a large bowl combine broth mixture, meat, bread crumbs, eggs, cheese, crushed red pepper and salt. Using your hands gently combine; don't over mix.
5. Rub a little olive oil on your hands; form mixture into balls that are slightly larger than golf balls.
6. Pour about ½ inch olive oil into a large sauté pan. Heat over medium-high. When oil is hot, brown meatballs in batches.
7. As meatballs finish browning, lift them gently with a slotted spoon and add to marinara; cover and simmer for about 1 hour.
8. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Serve meatballs marinara over spaghetti, topped with additional Parmigiano-Reggiano, if desired.