Dec. 5, 2008— -- Celebrity chef Rocco DiSpirito unveils some recipes that will add zest to your next home-cooked meal. Enjoy a starter of stuffed artichokes, or a tasty take on an old favorite -- spaghetti and meatballs. These recipes are perfect for an Italian feast, so go ahead, DO try this at home.
For the marinara
For the meatballs and spaghetti
1. In a large saucepan cook the garlic and onion in olive oil over medium-low heat until garlic is tender and onions are translucent but not brown, about 10 minutes.
2. Add tomato products. Pour chicken broth into one of the 28-ounce cans. Fill the rest of the way with water. Add to pan, along with sugar. Stir and bring to a simmer. Season with salt to taste; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile, make the meatballs: In a food processor puree chicken broth, onion, garlic and parsley.
4. In a large bowl combine broth mixture, meat, bread crumbs, eggs, cheese, crushed red pepper and salt. Using your hands gently combine; don't over mix.
5. Rub a little olive oil on your hands; form mixture into balls that are slightly larger than golf balls.
6. Pour about ½ inch olive oil into a large sauté pan. Heat over medium-high. When oil is hot, brown meatballs in batches.
7. As meatballs finish browning, lift them gently with a slotted spoon and add to marinara; cover and simmer for about 1 hour.
8. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Serve meatballs marinara over spaghetti, topped with additional Parmigiano-Reggiano, if desired.