When Should I Call My Doctor And When Should I Call 911 If I Am Having An Allergic Reaction?

Dr. Josephson answers the question: 'When Should I Call 911 For An Allergy?'

— -- Question: When should I call my doctor and when should I call 911 if I am having an allergic reaction?

Answer: Well, if you're just having a runny nose and some congestion and post-nasal drip, cough, hoarseness, maybe a little bit of wheezing -- things that we're comfortable with because this happened last year when we had allergies and the year before -- then just call either a board certified otolaryngologist, ear, nose and throat specialist, or a board certified allergist and make an appointment. If you have problems breathing where you feel like you're going to stop breathing, your chest feels really, really tight, your heart is have palpitations and you're just really not feeling right, you may need to go to your local emergency room or call 911.

Next: What Is The Relationship Between Asthma And Allergy?

Previous: Can I Ever Be Cured Of My Allergy?