April 10 -- (HealthDay News) -- You should do your homework before you elect to have plastic surgery.
Here are suggestions on how to prepare for the procedure, courtesy of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons:
- Research the surgery until you fully understand its possible benefits and risks.
- Talk to your doctor about what to expect after the surgery, including likely results, how much time it may take you to recover, and what the recovery period will feel like.
- Talk to other people who have had the procedure to gain their insight.
- Don't be afraid to discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor. Be sure the physician knows your complete medical history.
- Make sure the surgeon you select is qualified, properly trained, and certified to perform the procedure.