If I Have Fibrocystic Changes in the Breast, Should I See a Cancer Specialist or My Primary Care Provider for a Clinical Breast Exam?

Question: If I have fibrocystic changes in the breast should I see a cancer specialist or my primary care provider for my clinical breast exam?

Answer: Women who have normal dense glandular tissue, which falls into this term that some people call fibrocystic breasts, should continue their monthly self-examination, yearly examination with their primary physicians, and evaluation of abnormalities that they find on either examination or imaging studies as appropriate. There is no need for every woman who has normal dense glandular tissue to see a cancer specialist.

If, however, there are concerns regarding any specific area in the breast, they are always welcome to seek second opinions and their primary provider should be able to help them find appropriate services.

Next: How Do I Do a Proper Breast Self-Exam?


Previous: What is a Clinical Breast Exam and How Often Do I Need to Do It?