Will I Be Eligible For Short-Term Disability During My Treatment For Prostate Cancer?

Ted DeWeese, M.D., Johns Hopkins

Jan. 01, 2009 -- Question: Will I be eligible for short-term disability during my treatment for prostate cancer?

Answer: Most men who are employed would be eligible for short-term disability through their employer's health insurance plan. That is certainly something they'd have to specifically discuss with the employer. However, all employees in the United States would be eligible through the Family and Medical Leave Act to be released from certain duties from their position, as would their spouse should they need extra care following, say, surgery or a protracted course of radiation therapy.