June 6, 2014— -- Justin Bourque, 24, the man suspected in a shooting spree in New Brunswick, Canada, that left three Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers dead and two others injured, was arrested this morning after a manhunt, police said.
Residents in the city of Moncton can now leave their homes again, police said, with the end of the day-long search for the suspect.
Bourque had been spotted numerous times following the shooting, which happened around 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, but had eluded capture each time. The man was dressed in military fatigues and heavily armed, police said
Resident Michelle Thibodeau told CTV News that the search ended on her property with Bourque surrendering.
“We saw him when he was arrested in the backyard and they all had lights on him and their guns up,” she said.
The dragnet began Wednesday night after residents in Moncton reported seeing a man firing shots randomly in a neighborhood around 7:30 p.m. Police responded and five officers were shot, three of whom died and two of whom were injured.
During the manhunt, schools were closed and public transportation was not in service.
A motive for the shootings is not known.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.