Mousavi Joins Tehran Protest Mourning RallyDeaths
As demonstrations continue, government reaches out to opposition leaders.
June 18, 2009 — -- Iranian opposition leader Mir Hossein Mousavi joined throngs of anti-government protesters today to mourn the deaths of at least eight demonstrators killed in the wake of last week's contested elections.
The protesters, seen on TV footage, many wearing black and holding photos and the names of those killed, jammed Iman Khomeini square, according to various media reports. They were responding to a call by ousted opposition leader Mir Hossein Mousavi to hold a day of mourning.
"Why did you kill our brothers?" read one sign, Reuters reported, "Our martyred brothers we will take back your votes," read another.
Mousavi, whose foiled presidential bid has become the rallying point for the six days of massive protests, was seen on TV footage in the crowd speaking briefly, but it was not immediately clear what he told the crowd. Foreign media are still officially barred from covering unauthorized demonstrations.
There are no reports of violence or arrests.
Mousavi and fellow reformer former president Mohammed Khatami publicly demanded the release of all opposition members under arrest. Overnight, former foreign minister Nehzat Azadi was taken by police from his hospital bed.
Mousavi and two other candidates were invited today by Iran's Guardian Council to a meeting to hear their grievances this Saturday.
A council spokesperson said the group had begun to investigate some 646 complaints of voting irregularities from last Friday's vote, Reuters reported.
People are marching peacefully, often in silence -- a deliberate response to the violence used by police and pro-government paramilitaries as popular anger grows over the disputed presidential election in which President Ahmadinejad was declared the winner by "a large margin."
With foreign reporters now forced to leave the country, it is the protesters who are the world's eyes and ears on the ground, filming protests on their cellphones and distributing the footage on Web sites such as Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.
Many of them are facing threats to their safety and some are worried for their lives. A 24-year-old Iranian, who requested anonymity for safety reasons, spoke to the BBC and said, "I am worried because I received a phone call, a recorded message [...] saying to me: You have been protesting. If you go out again and do protest again, you will be arrested soon."
"Yesterday I considered staying home instead of going out," he said, adding that he still went out and plans to protest today as well.
"Across the country, I hear that people are unhappy, [in] big cities, small cities, towns and villages. I hear the violence is much more in smaller cities than in big cities because the media is showing what is happening in Tehran but not what is happening in Shiraz or Isfahan," he said.
He said he was determined to keep protesting, adding, "if we go on this way, I think and I feel, a change might happen."