-- U.S. military forces have launched airstrikes in the Kunduz province of Afghanistan after the Taliban took over the city.
The strikes, which launched as support for Afghan security forces, were confirmed to ABC News by U.S. Army Col. Brian Tribus, a spokesman for U.S. Forces in Afghanistan.
He said that the strike, carried out this morning, was ordered "to eliminate a threat to coalition and Afghan forces in the area," though he did not mention the Taliban by name.
Afghan forces began a clearing operation to retake Kunduz early Tuesday morning according to Sayed Sarwar Hussaini, a spokesman for the Kunduz Police.
Hussaini claimed that major buildings in the city had been retaken including the city’s central jail and police headquarters. It is believed that more than 600 prisoners at the city’s jail were released by the Taliban yesterday.
Afghan President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani, who has been in power for a year now, held a news conference detailing the action and the Taliban's fight to control the country's fifth-largest city.
Ghani said that the terrorist groups in the area used civilians.
Resolute Support is the name of the NATO training mission in Afghanistan that is slated to conclude at the end of next year, 9,800 American military troops remain in Afghanistan as part of that mission.
ABC News' Luis Martinez and Aleem Agha contributed to this report.