-- At 37 years old, Dr. Vivek Hallegere Murthy has made history today as the youngest appointed US Surgeon General and the first of Indian descent.
The Senate voted tonight 51-43 to confirm Murthy as America’s top doctor after the position was vacant for over a year. Here are seven facts you should know about the 19th US Surgeon General:
1. He was born in England to immigrant parents.
2. He wanted to be in the medical field since he was a kid.
3. He’s wicked smart.
4. The NRA did not want him appointed.
As a result of the NRA’s intense opposition, the White House had to pull back on Dr. Murthy’s nomination earlier this year.
5. He’s incredibly healthy.
6. He co-founded several organizations.
7. He supports the <a href="http://abcnews.go.com/topics/news/healthcare/affordable-care-act.htm" id="ramplink_Affordable Care Act_" target="_blank">Affordable Care Act</a>.
8. He’s a bachelor.
ABC News' Arlette Saenz contributed to this report.