Mike Huckabee Leaves Fox News as He Weighs 2016 Bid

Former Arkansas governor says leaving Fox is "honorable thing to do."

— -- Mike Huckabee announced Saturday night that he is leaving Fox News as he weighs a potential presidential run in 2016 saying, "As much as I have loved doing the show, I cannot bring myself to rule out another presidential run."

"Oh be clear, I'm not making that announcement right now and my timetable is still just what wait was before, later this spring, but I agree with Fox this is the right thing and now is the right time," he said.

The former Arkansas governor and television personality made the announcement on his Saturday evening show, "Huckabee," and told his viewers "If I were willing to absolutely rule out" a presidential run "I could keep doing this show, but I can't make such a declaration."

He said he won't "make a decision about running until late in the spring of 2015."

He said he's not going to "disappear" and said he "hope(s)" to make guest appearances on Fox News, but "not as staff."

He also thanked his viewers, show staff, and Fox News chairman Roger Ailes for what he called the "ride of a lifetime."

Huckabee initially made the announcement on his Facebook page earlier this evening, saying he was leaving his show so he can "openly talk with potential donors and supporters and gauge support."