Sources: Trump questions allowing immigrants from Haiti, Africa, other 's---hole' countries

Sources say Trump comments came at an Oval Office meeting on immigration.

The president suggested instead that the U.S. should have more people from places like Norway, whose prime minister he met with Wednesday, according to these sources.

The White House did not deny that the president made these remarks. Deputy White House Press Secretary Raj Shah issued this statement to ABC News:

“Certain Washington politicians choose to fight for foreign countries, but President Trump will always fight for the American people. The President will only accept an immigration deal that adequately addresses the visa lottery system and chain migration – two programs that hurt our economy and allow terrorists into our country. Like other nations that have merit-based immigration, President Trump is fighting for permanent solutions that make our country stronger by welcoming those who can contribute to our society, grow our economy and assimilate into our great nation. He will always reject temporary, weak and dangerous stopgap measures that threaten the lives of hardworking Americans, and undercut immigrants who seek a better life in the United States through a legal pathway.”

A senior White House official, speaking on background to ABC News, acknowledged that the president "grew frustrated when the conversation turned to the issue of the visa lottery deal."

Trump’s comments immediately sparked outrage from lawmakers.

Rep. Mia Love, a Republican from Utah who is Haitian American, demanded in a tweet that the president apologize:

DACA protects around 800,000 children of undocumented immigrants, brought to the United States when they were very young, from deportation. But if Congress fails to act, those DACA recipients could face deportation as early as March 6 because they were unable to renew their protection.

Members of the more moderate “Group of Six,” consisting of Durbin, Graham, Cory Gardner, R-Colo., Michael Bennet, D-Colo., and Bob Menendez, D-N.J., began announcing to reporters early Thursday afternoon that they had reached an agreement in principle among themselves.

“Durbin and Graham had a clear plan to try to go and present their plan to the president and make their case and end run everyone else involved in negotiations,” a source familiar with the meeting told ABC.

According to multiple sources, the Group of Six plan includes permanent protections for “Dreamers,”--which is what DACA recipients call themselves--$1.6 billion for border security, and revisions to the diversity visa lottery and what critics call “chain” migration.

The plan proposes taking the 50,000 visas currently allocated for the diversity lottery and splitting them between people who currently have Temporary Protected Status (TPS) and people from African nations, which is what one source says caused Trump’s outburst.

But in any case, the more conservative immigration hawks attending the meeting, who have their own proposals, say the moderate Group of Six’s proposal is a nonstarter for them.

“Each of those things is insufficient,” a source said.

One White House official directly involved in negotiations insists they are confident a deal can be reached, but that the moderate proposal has no chance to pass among the more conservative Republicans in the House. While the Senate had been aiming for a vote on a deal by the end of the month, the White House believes a deal can be reached by March 5, the day before DACA recipients would officially be eligible for deportation.

Top Stories

Top Stories

Top Stories

Top Stories

ABC News Live

ABC News Live

24/7 coverage of breaking news and live events