Yemeni Detainees at Guantanamo Receive Video Call Service
International Red Cross extends teleconference service to Yemenis at Gitmo.
Dec. 30, 2010— -- Dozens of Yemeni men imprisoned at a U.S. military base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, can now video teleconference with their family members abroad.
The new service, sponsored by the International Committee of the Red Cross and launched earlier this month, provides many detainees the first face-to-face contact with relatives since their detention nearly a decade ago.
The teleconferences also come as the Obama administration considers an executive order to hold some detainees indefinitely.
"Because of the length of their detention at Guantanamo, we've been pushing for this service," said ICRC spokesman Simon Schorno. "And we have the full support of the [U.S.] authorities."
Previously, the men could communicate only through sending paper messages or occasional telephone calls transmitted through the Red Cross.
The video calls can last up to an hour and could occur once every three months, whenever the ICRC visits the facility.
"We go around and ask who's interested in taking part in the calls and then arrange the logistics," Schorno said.
The opportunity to speak in person is viewed as a humanitarian gesture, Schorno said, and can improve the mental health of detainees and help create a more secure environment from the perspective of military officials.
"To have a detainee a little more relaxed because he spoke to his wife is a good thing," said Schorno. "Does it mean the indefinite detention is more bearable because of this? I wouldn't go that far."
A Pentagon spokesman did not respond to ABC News' request for comment.
The video calls are not the first for Guantanamo detainees. One year ago, ICRC extended the service to men from Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Four families from the Yemeni capital of Sana'a have participated in video calls to Guantanamo, according to Schorno. Others have connected from the southern city of Aden.