In the quest for travel bragging rights, further is always better.
And if you can visit a place your friends have never even heard of? All the better.
So for the braggies -- and the travelers who simply want to discover a destination before it becomes overrun -- we bring you Lake Atitlán in Guatemala, named the "best beach you haven't heard of yet" by TravelChannel.com.
Lake Atitlán isn't an ocean beach, but as it's name suggests, on a lake. Lake Atitlán is the country's deepest lake, in the Guatemalan Highlands of the Sierra Madre de Chiapas mountain range.
Surrounded by volcanoes and dotted with tiny Mayan towns accessible by boat, the area surrounding Lake Atitlán is known for its spectacular views and friendly people.
But this paradise isn't perfect: Lake pollution is a problem, and threatens the future of tourism to the area.
Other 2015 best beach picks (in alphabetical order by category title):
• Best Beach for Adventure: Praia do Futuro - Fortaleza, Brazil
• Best Beach Bar: VICE also known as Nissakia Surf Club - Artemida, Greece
• Best Beach Boardwalk: Coney Island, New York
• Best Exotic Beach: Ilhabela, Brazil
• Best Family Beach: Seaside, Florida
• Best Party Beach: La Barra - Punta del Este, Uruguay
• Best Romantic Beach: Little Dix Bay - Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands
• Sexiest Beach: Miami, Florida
• Best Unusual Beach: Red Beach - Santorini, Greece
• Best Beach You Haven't Heard of Yet: Lake Atitlán - Guatemala