Ahmed Mohamed Gets Back Clock He Made That Was Mistaken for a Bomb

The homemade digital clock was originally mistaken for a bomb.

October 23, 2015, 6:19 PM

— -- The teen who had his clock taken away by police in Irving, Texas, after it was mistaken for a bomb announced today on Twitter that he got his "clock back finally."

The family of Ahmed Mohamed, 14, who just came back from a trip to the White House where he met President Obama, previously said in a statement that it hired two Dallas attorneys, Thomas Bowers and Reggie London, "to pursue Ahmed’s legal rights and regain his science project from the Irving Police Department."

A spokesman from the Irving Police Department told ABC News today that London picked up the clock for Mohamed from the stationhouse at 1:15 p.m. He added that the clock had been cleared for release "for weeks" since Sept. 16 and that the department notified Mohamed's family on Sept. 18 that the clock could be picked up.

Bowers told ABC News that they couldn't pick the clock up for a while because Mohamed "has been busy traveling" and searching for new schools. He added, "If the clock was released so quickly, why'd they arrest him for it in the first place? Who in their right mind would think anything evil about it?"

Mohamed was arrested for bringing the timepiece to MacArthur High School in September, which sparked social media outrage and accusations of racial profiling and religious persecution under the hashtag #IStandWithAhmed. Police later released Mohamed and announced that no charges would be made against him.

Mohamed has since withdrawn from MacArthur High School despite an invitation from the school to return when he finished serving a suspension. He recently accepted a scholarship to the Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development.

ABC News was not immediately successful reaching Mohamed's lawyers, Thomas Bowers and Reggie London, for additional comment.

ABC News Live

ABC News Live

24/7 coverage of breaking news and live events