Airport Employee Arrested in Dry Ice Explosions

Dicarlo Bennett, 28, is being held on $1 million bond.

ByABC News
October 16, 2013, 5:46 AM

Oct. 16, 2013— -- A Los Angeles International Airport employee has been arrested in connection with the dry ice explosions during a two-day span earlier this week at one of the nation's busiest airports, police said in a statement.

Dicarlo Bennett, 28, is being held on $1 million bond and faces one charge of possession of an explosive or destructive device near an aircraft.

Bennett is an employee of Servisair, a company that does baggage handling and ramp services at LAX, ABC News has learned.

"We are aware of the situation," Servisair said in a statement to ABC News. "We have no comment at this time."

It's unclear whether Bennett has entered a plea.

Bennett's motives are unclear, but a law enforcement official said he was riding in a van with a supervisor and other co-workers when he decided to plant one of the dry bombs, according to The Associated Press.

The others in the van were made aware of the dry ice, but no other arrests have been made, the AP reported, citing the official briefed on the investigation who wasn't authorized to speak publicly.

Police had previously said they didn't believe the explosions were an act of terror but could have been the work of a disgruntled employee. Authorities poured over surveillance video looking for clues and interviewed workers at the airport for two days before arresting Bennett.

No one was injured in either incident but police say dry ice can explode with the intensity of a pipe bomb. Deputy Chief Michael Downing told The Associated Press that the bombs, made by putting dry ice in 20-ounce bottles, could have caused serious injury to anyone in close proximity.

Authorities say all the bombs were found in restricted areas away from passengers. The first explosion happened Sunday in an employee bathroom in Terminal 2. Another exploded Monday night by the tarmac.

A third bomb was disabled before it was detonated, according to police. A fourth bottle the LAPD originally thought was involved turned out to be trash.

Passengers at LAX said they were glad a suspect is in custody and can now breathe a little easier.

"It's obviously bothersome but at the same time life's got to go on," William Hopper said. "You can't keep shutting everything down just because of some wacko doing something stupid."