Armored Car Murder Manhunt: Police Timeline Details Crime

A massive manhunt is now underway to find the armed and dangerous culprit.

ByABC News
March 2, 2012, 2:22 AM

March 2, 2012— -- Investigators are putting together a timeline of events that led to a Pittsburgh armored car driver allegedly killing his colleague and making off with $2.3 million, while a manhunt is now underway to find the culprit, who is carrying three automatic weapons.

Police are asking people across the country to be on the lookout for 22-year-old Kenneth Konias Jr., who they are describing as a cold-blooded killer that shot his co-worker Michael Haines in the back of the head and left him in the back of the Garda armored vehicle the two operated.

"Our belief is that he planned to rob the company, and if he had to kill the guard he planned to do that," an officer said.

The two men worked for Garda Cash Logistics and were collecting cash from the Rivers Casino and a Home Depot in Pittsburgh. Just before 4 p.m. Tuesday Haines' body was found inside the cargo area of the Garda armored vehicle, with a gunshot wound to the back of the head, and more than $2 million.

Pouring over surveillance video, investigators have created a timeline showing at least five collection stops made by Haines and Konias before the shooting.

Surveillance video shows the truck speeding away from a service road behind a Home Depot at 12:55 p.m. Tuesday. At 1:23 p.m. the armored vehicle was seen in a parking lot underneath a bridge. Three minutes later police say Konias ran to his 2002 Ford Explorer, and at sometime between 1:30 p.m. and 3:40 p.m. he returned to his home.

Police stumbled upon the abandoned armored car just before 4 p.m. and found blood dripping from its locked doors.

"He had at least a two-hour head start from the time he left work until the time Mr. Haines was discovered," Cmd. Tom Stangrecki of the Pittsburgh Police Department said. "We're not sure if he's in the state."

Konias's father said that when he was home he discarded a bloodied uniform jacket, while police say that he took off with as many as three semi-automatic pistols, including one he allegedly took from Haines in the truck.

At some point Konias made a phone call to a friend, which was outlined in the criminal complaint charging him with homicide and robbery.

"At the time of this conversation with Kenneth Konias, Konias made statements such as, 'I (expletive) up. My life is over,'" the criminal complaint stated.

After the friend asked Konias a series of questions probing what was wrong -- whether he was having a bad day at work or had gotten a girl pregnant -- the friend, who is identified as Witness #1 in the criminal complaint, said, "What, did you kill someone?"

After a few seconds of silence, Konias allegedly said "yes" and implored his friend to run away with him and live off the money from his heist.

Haines' roommate of seven years, Joe Krsul, told his friend and Konias worked together "a couple of times a week" Haines never expressed concern about Konias, but said he preferred working with the veteran guards.

"He said he felt the younger guys didn't know what they were doing," Krsul said.

Darin Dinapoli, a friend of Haines, says that he does not want him to merely be remembered as a robbery victim.