Suspect Arrested in Dodger Stadium Beating of Bryan Stow

Brutal beating left Giants fan in medically-induced coma.

May 22, 2011, 1:25 PM

May 22, 2010— -- Police today arrested a suspect in the brutal beating of a San Francisco Giants fan outside Dodger Stadium, nearly two months after the unprovoked attack that left the man in a coma.

After getting a tip from an informant, a Los Angeles Police Department SWAT team went to an East Hollywood apartment early today and took five people into custody, including the suspect.

Giovanni Ramirez, 31, was booked for assault with a deadly weapon and is being held on $1 million bail, police said.

The other four were questioned and were expected to be released, according to a statement from the LAPD.

Bryan Stow, a 42-year-old father of two, suffered a fractured skull in the attack and had to be put into a medically induced coma.

"I can't even tell you the emotions that we're feeling right now," Stow's sister Bonnie Stow said. "To be excited? We don't even know what we are feeling."

In March, Stow road-tripped nearly 300 miles with friends from Santa Cruz, Calif., to Los Angeles to watch the San Francisco Giants play the Los Angeles Dodgers on March 31.

On the way back to his car following the Giants' loss, things took an ugly turn.

"Two guys came out of nowhere. Both of them pushed Bryan from behind, he never saw them coming and Bryan fell forward and hit his head on the concrete and was immediately knocked unconscious," said David Collins, the victim's brother-in-law.

Los Angeles Police Department Sgt. Sanford Rosenberg told reporters that the victim was one of three Giants fans attacked in the parking lot by two men in Dodger garb.

He said the attack was unprovoked.

The two suspects were last seen leaving the parking lot in a light or white four-door sedan driven by a woman believed to be wearing a white Dodgers jersey with the name of Andre Ethier and the number 16 on the back, police said.

Both the woman and the second suspect in the attack on Stow are still at large.

Los Angeles County officials, along with contributions from both baseball teams, initially offered a $50,000 reward for information leading to the capture of the pair. The reward has since grown to $250,000.

Stow sustained brain damage from the attack and has been in and out of a medically-induced coma since the beating.

He was recently relocated from the Los Angeles County USC Medical Center to San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center so he could be closer to his family, according to ABC Los Angeles station KABC-TV.

ABC News Live

ABC News Live

24/7 coverage of breaking news and live events