April 6, 2011 — -- Glenn Beck will end his daily show on Fox News Channel by the end of the year, according to a statement released by Fox and Beck's production company.
The exact end date for "Glenn Beck," the third highest rated program on cable news, was not released. Fox News and Beck's production company, Mercury Radio Arts, said that they will continue to collaborate on projects.
"Glenn Beck is a powerful communicator, a creative entrepreneur and a true success by anybody's standards. I look forward to continuing to work with him," said Roger Ailes, chairman and CEO of Fox News.
The news of the "Glenn Beck" show's demise comes amid reports that Beck's popular show had seen an uptick in advertisers asking that their commercials not be shown during his show. At the same time that advertisers fled, Beck's viewership has declined too, though it is still impressive for cable news with an average of 2 million viewers each night.
"Though he got ratings. Beck was too much even for Fox," said Jeff Jarvis, media expert and author of the blog BuzzMachine.
Beck's media empire has long extended past Fox News with a successful radio show, best-selling books, a magazine and even stage shows. Beck's contract is set to expire in December, the New York Times reported.
What's Next for Glenn Beck?
Media expert Jarvis expects Beck will continue to build his media empire online.
"Beck will go on and build his brand and maybe make more money," Jarvis said. "The internet is ready for strong personalities and entertainment brands."
Jarvis said it's unlikely that Beck will push for a syndicated show and another cable news channel is unlikely to offer him a deal.
The executive who brought Beck to Fox News from CNN in 2009, Joel Cheatwood, will join Beck's production company later this month.
"Joel is a good friend and one of the most talented and creative executives in the business...I have consistently valued his input and advice and that will not stop as we work with him in his new role," said Ailes, chairman and CEO of Fox News.
Glenn Beck Leaves Show That's Been Rallying Ground for Conservatives
Ailes praised Beck and Beck did the same for Ailes, in the statement released today.
"I truly believe that America owes a lot to Roger Ailes and Fox News...I look forward to starting this new phase of our partnership," Beck, 47, said in the statement.
Beck's show on Fox has been a rallying ground for conservative Republicans and drawn the ire of liberals.
In August of last year, Beck organized the "Restoring Honor" rally on the National Mall which drew 100,000 supporters. Beck labeled the rally, held in the midst of the mid-term election season, as not political.
Some criticized it as blatantly political and fuel for the Tea Party movement. Former vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin was a keynote speaker.