Cops' Search in Lindsey Baum Case Comes Up Empty

Police served warrants on possible suspect, found nothing linking him to girl.

ByABC News
June 30, 2009, 12:22 PM

Oct. 4, 2009— -- Volunteers gathered in McCleary, Wash., this weekend to hunt for any trace of Lindsey Baum, the 11-year-old girl who has been missing for more than three months. Police acknowledged they are looking for new leads after a search failed to link a possible suspect to the girl's disappearance.

"There was no evidence that clearly indicated that the people and the individual we were looking at had anything to do with her disappearance," Undersheriff Rick Scott, of the Grays Harbor County Sheriff's Department, one of the agencies investigating the girl's disappearance, told "Having served these warrants, we found nothing, so we're pursuing other leads."

The affidavit for the warrants, which were released Friday and were served on Sept. 25, indicated that there were discrepancies in the alibi of the person police were looking at, a man who works at a retirement home near where Lindsey, who should have started sixth grade this fall, was last seen.

According to the affidavit, from Grays Harbor County Sheriff's Department Det. Matt Organ, police originally wanted to talk to the man because a person called and said his car, a small white sports car with a loud exhaust, was seen in the area the night of Lindsey's disappearance and then was not seen around for several days afterwards, which the tipster considered suspicious.

When police contacted the possible suspect, according to the affidavit, he told them he was working a second job at a youth camp that night, but a supervisor at the camp told police he was in fact not there and had been suspended two weeks earlier.

Police also became suspicious when they spoke to a former girlfriend of the man, who told them that the day after Lindsey's disappearance he said he was very concerned that something like that could happen in the town, the affidavit said.