Maryland Shooting Suspect Defied Protective Order and Kept Firearms

Maryland Shooting Suspect Kept Firearms Despite Protective Order

— -- Before Gladys Tordil was allegedly shot and killed by her husband last week, she sought a protective order against him.

She feared for her safety and that of her children after years of abuse and threats.

In March, a court ordered her husband, Eulalio Tordil, to stay away and surrender all of his firearms to law enforcement.

Tordil, a law enforcement officer with the Federal Protective Service, was charged earlier this week for allegedly killing two "completely random" people and wounding two others in separate shootings at a mall and grocery store in Montgomery County, Maryland. Tordil is charged with his wife's death as well.

The killing spree began a day earlier when he allegedly followed his wife to the high school where she had gone to pick up her children in neighboring Prince George’s County.

He is accused of slapping his wife so hard that her “glasses broke” and subjecting his children to “intense-military-like discipline.”

“We understand how dangerous domestic situations can be as a result to that the legislator in this state made it a law once you were under the preview of a protective you were no longer allowed to possess firearms,” said Montgomery County State's Attorney John McCarthy.

On March 17, the day the final order of protection was issued, Tordil surrendered seven firearms to the sheriff’s office. Three other service weapons were turned over to the federal agency where he worked, according to the sheriff.

The Glock used in the Montgomery County shootings was purchased legally in Las Vegas in 2014, said McCarthy.

He also said that there were other firearms that Tordil did not surrender to authorities.

Information on the weapon or ammunition used in his wife’s death could not be released at this time, according to authorities.

The sheriff’s office did not have jurisdiction to search Tordil’s home for additional weapons at the time the order was issued.

“We have to in essence believe that he is in compliance with the order,” said Lt. Col. Mark, Roccapriore assistant sheriff.

The sheriff’s office ran a search to see what weapons were registered to Tordil and found two guns, which were included in the seven that were turned in. The office also checked to see if any other guns that were surrendered were stolen, but none were.

Sarah Shales, Janet Wienstien and Audrey Taylor contributed to this report.